Tachnique Issue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vince a, Dec 15, 2012.

1. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I am an ex-lead guitar player turned bassist 5 years ago. Last weekend, I changed the strings on my Lakland 55-60 from D'Addario Chrome flats to Dunlop Nickle roundwounds. I play in a couple of bands . . . in one band most of our music starts on count, and we all come in together. That said, I also play every Sunday at our church, and there are several songs where the bass begins the songs. In the secular band, I don't hear any string noise, but in the church band, about all I hear is finger-on-strings noise. Is this improper technique? Do I need to practice lifting my fingers and re-placing them at each note change? What

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You can take a little treble off the EQ. That'll help, but practice lifting your finger off the string when you change notes. You'll have to coordinate your muting so you don't get open string notes as you change frets.

3. This all true.

My technique seemed OK until I bought a Fender acoustic bass that magnified the problem you are experiencing. Clack! Clack! I played it more often and my technique got better on all my basses.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021