Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma ABG Feedback

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyGL, Dec 28, 2003.

1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I bought a demo Tacoma CB10 with the Baggs system and few small scratches for $699 with the understanding I could return for whatever reason in 30 days. At that price I thought, hey I’ll give it a try. Anyway, when I plugged it in at a gig last night I couldn’t keep the feed back under control even at moderate volume. Yuck!

Any ideas for dealing with this problem?

Thanks…Andy

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have a CB10F with the Fishman Prefix Plus preamp. It has a notch filter that helps to knock down feedback problems. I've also used the Baggs ParaAcoustic DI which also has a notch. If you just plug the bass in like it was a precision then it will probably feed back a lot. I have found that using the same tricks that I use with harmonica really worked. Stay out from in front of the speaker cabinet, don't run too much preamp gain, and keep the volume level down.

3. I recently got a fretless 5 string Tacoma with the Baggs preamp. I got it for use without an amp at small parties, on the beach, sitting with friends writing songs etc and it is great for this use. It replaced a Martin B-1, which I really had to beat on to get any sound out. The Tacoma is a big improvement in this regard.

A while back I had asked Mike Tobias to make me an ABG. When I told him what I wanted it for, he told me to buy the Tacoma instead and save us both money and hassle. He told me to buy the plainest version, which I did, since he thought they sounded better than the ones with sunburst finishes and fancy wood options.

After two months in the Maui climate the action became very high. After consulting with Chad at Bass Northwest, I first adjusted the truss rod and then pulled the neck and added some progressive shims made of thin card stock to alter the neck angle. There was already one shim in there, from the factory. The neck and action are now perfect with just the slightest touch of relief and a medium/low action, and it plays & sounds great.

It feeds back terribly, and I'm glad I have no desire to gig with it through an amp.

Aloha,

Jonathan

4. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I looked on the Tacoma web sight and I don't believe the bass I have has a pick up with a notch filter. I wonder if an outboard graphic EQ could work equally as well. Any thoughts on that?

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Andy,

The model you have has no notch filter. The Tacoma with the Prefix Plus is more expensive than the one with tha Baggs preamp. I've played both plugged in and the Prefix Plus is worth every penny and more. IMO the Baggs equipped Thunderchief is barely usable. It's a shame.

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have been searching for feedback busters for odd shaped soundhole but have had no luck. They would kill any acoustic value the bass has but you could use them in a high volume situation.

7. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    how does a notch filter function differently then a graphic eq? I’m not familiar with the term notch filter. Thanks...

8. mielke

mielke

Nov 24, 2003
    Question about the feedback...

Does this feedback more than a regular acoustic (piezo) guitar? I've never heard a squeak of feedback during our church worship, and was going to go for the Olympia model - but if the feedback is worse than a typical guitar that would be a problem.

The Tacoma ABG uses piezo pickup, right?

AM

9. Feedback is a problem with most ABG's when you amp them. I've owned two - a Fender BG-29 and an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe. The Ovation is generally very good, but I need to tweak the EQ settings on my combo quite a lot to try to avoid the feedback frequency. I always thought that the bigger the ABG body cavity the bigger the problem with feedback. The fact that the big body helps the Tacoma volume unplugged is its downfall when plugged in - or not?

Anyway, I hope you manage to find something that will allow you to carry on playing. Nice instruments... :)

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I believe this is the case. Very slim acoustic guitars have very little feedback problems.

Anyway, a notch filter just cuts EQ sharply at a single frequency. The frequency is selectable, you find the setting that stops the feedback and you're clean. A graphic or parametric EQ could work in a similar fashon, but the amount of the signal affected would probably be much larger than with a notch unless you were using a huge rack mount EQ. At least you could get much of the way there with this approach.

11. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    makes sense...thanks