Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma and Olympia? Acoustic Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, Feb 5, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    I am looking for an acoustic Bass. I played the Tacoma and loved it, but it is on the expensive side. I see there is an Olympia version. What is the difference? I see the Olympia is made overseas, but is it all wood? Are the pick-ups and hardware the same?

I live in Germany and I haven't found a local store to try the Olympia out. (ther is one 3.5 hours away)

thanks

david

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Olympia is a laminated version of the solid-wood Tacoma. It also has a cheaper, less sophisticated version of the electronics package. It is also only available in one variety (4-string, fretted). The laminated construction makes it's tone not quite as sweet, and it's also not quite as loud as the Tacoma.

It's fairly well made, though, and a pretty good deal. It's definitely not as nice as a Tacoma, but for the money, it is at least as good as any other ABG in its price class, particularly in terms of the volume it puts out.

Then again, for a few hundred more than a new Olympia, one can get a used Tacoma.

All depends on your budget and needs. I held out for a Tacoma, but had I not played one, I probably would have been happy with the Olympia. I made the mistake of playing a Tacoma right after trying the Olympia, to see what the original sounded like in comparison, and decided that, for ME, the difference was enough that I was willing to wait until I could afford the Tacoma.

3. not really the same, but i have an olympia 6string... sounds decent but nothing like my martin. good enough if your not looking to impress audiophiles, but if you want the very best, then by all means drop the coin on the tacoma

4. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
  5. not bad stuff, your basic mid teir instruments, i would say marginally better than the olympia (ive played both 6 string versions) but not really comparable to the tacoma

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good Olympias can be quite nice, but there seems to be a lot of sample variation. I've played six or seven of them in the store, and one of them was almost as nice sounding as my Tacoma, three were just OK, and the rest were uninspiring.

The construction quality was just OK in my book.

Really, the Tacoma is worth the extra Euros!

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.