1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tacoma basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ksukev, Nov 3, 2010.

1. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Maybe I've missed something but what has happened to Tacoma guitars? I used to own a Thunderchief CB105 fretless and loved it. I've since sold it but looking to get an acoustic 3 piece together and would like to get my hands on a CB105 fretted 5. Since the Fender buyout did they just stop making them or what? Any help on this matter would be appreciated, guys!

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Shop has been closed.
    I knew a couple of people that worked there, and they told me QC went downhill so fast, that Fender saw only 10% of final product was acceptable, so they closed it.

3. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    Man, that stinks. I loved my Tacoma. Guess I'll be scanning the web for used one. Thanks, brother!

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I played one that I *loved*...

I played a few that were Junk.

Like the man said: Bad QC. Gotta play before you pay.

5. ksukev

ksukev Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Kansas
    I wish Taylor would just hurry up and make an acoustic bass again. And a 5er would be nice!

6. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Every one I ever tried was great, I always left wanting it. I still want one and keep on the lookout for something local. Haven't seen one in years. I've never played a big Guild or Earthwood or any of those, but nothing I've played has been near as good as the Thunderchiefs.

7. Slapjockey

Slapjockey

Mar 11, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    right now I personally own an EARTHWOOD, a Guild B30E, and a Thunderchief.....and I would say the Tacoma plays and sounds just about as good as any of these honestly.

8. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've seen good things about Boulder Creek basses. I'm thinking of getting one. Looking for a step above the Michael kelly's Takamine's and Ibanez type of ABG's, but I don't want to spend a million on it. I found the neck profile on the Boulder Creek I played much nicer than the Breedlove's I've played.

Has anyone used a Boulder Creek ABG??

9. I talked to the guys at Blackbird Guitars (carbon-fiber) at NAMM. They are planning to have a bass in their line by the end of the year.

10. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I love my Thunderchief - I just wish I had more reason to play it out! It's been hiding in its case for far too long...

11. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    +1

12. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I'd like to think that I have one of the "good ones". What year did QC go down hill? My set up, fit and finish are great, but the case is terrible. I know some folks had issues with the sides and back separating...that'd be bummer.

13. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    That's quite a statement! I've heard Earthwood is the Holy Grail. I play a fretless 4-string Thunderchief with black nylon tapewounds. It sounds virtually like an upright. Figured I would die and go to heaven with an Earthwood, but sounds like the 'chief is as good as it gets! I'm gigging it as an acoustic trio (guitar, bass, mandolin). Very happy with the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheStormyWeathermen

Qualified: I only play this amplified. The ABG is too quiet for gigging. I use a Euphonic Audio iAMP Pro and a nEarful 12/6 cab made by LDS. Great stuff!

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I played a couple at a local shop that has since sold all of them. They are high on my list of good ABG's, better than Michael Kelly in the same price range.

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I thought the Boulder Creek's were a bit more money than the Kelly's.
    I didn't get to check one out plugged in but they felt like a more substantial instrument than the Kelly's, Ibanez, etc. Please give any impressions you might have. I'm thinking of buying after holding one for about two minutes at most.

16. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    I have same bass, same setup and same opinion.

17. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Web search seems to bear out that the BC is more expensive. Regardless, I would say that the BC beats even the top of the line MK in tone and comfort. It felt like a ABG that was designed from the get-go to address some of the shortcomings of this genre. Having a small front soundhole in the upper bout means that it's harder to feedback when amplified, and it also means that there is more uninterrupted soundboard to interact with the the strings. The piezo is much less harsh sounding, and the tone is full and strong.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    And yet again, thanks for making me feel just that much better about this purchase. I'm wondering if the Boulder Creek basses could end up being a lower priced heir to the Tacoma throne in the ABG world.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love my Tacoma.

For new in-production ABGs I recommend checking out the offerings from Breedlove.

20. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I looked at those. Uncomfortable neck profile even after they changed from that weird V shape. I'm sure the newer ones are great but I still don't love the look or feel of the Breedlove.
    However, one mans fish eggs are another mans Caviar.