Tacoma CB10-E4 ThunderChief

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Stick O'Dbwee, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Stick O'Dbwee

Stick O'Dbwee

Oct 21, 2002
    Anyone else in love with this bass as much as I am? I've had it for a little over a year now and it has been my very favorite to play. It has also really helped me improve my playing.

When I got it I also picked up a Claifornia Blonde but actually prefer playing it unplugged.

It is just so easy to pick it up and start playing (I live in an apartment) without worrying about buggin neighbors.

How many others out there are also loving their accoustics? I'd be interested in hearing about it. Watt, do you play accoustic very much (other than the big stand-up)?
  2. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    To be honest, the only type of acoustic bass I've found that works. . .well. . .acoustically are uprights. Even the Tacoma doesn't have enough volume to stand up to a hard strummed drednought. I figure the day I find an acoustic bass guitar that can be played alongside a bango I'll marry the thing.

That's my opinion, I'm happy you've found a solution you're happy with.
  3. Stick O'Dbwee

Stick O'Dbwee

Oct 21, 2002
    oh, I agree with you. Uprights are wonderful! Although I've only played with them in the stores. I want to get one though. Maybe my next big purchase. The first time I played an upright I was blown away by how powerful the sound was.

But for just sitting around like on the couch or in the bed watching tv with the volume turned down low.... nothing beets the convenience of simply picking up my Tacoma. That would be very difficult to do with an upright. lol

I think, because of this, it is my favorite.

I'd still like to hear more about the love for acoustics basses. (upright or otherwise). Carla Bouzolich (sp?) previous band, Geraldine Fibbers, had an upright in it and I thought it was terrific. In that band he, can't remember his name :(, played with Nells and others who were plugged in... the upright is awesome.
  4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

the upright is awsome but be prepared for some big differences - it's very much different from a bass guitar. pretty expensive too compared to an acoustic bass guitar. I don't play my guild acoustic guitar that much - in fact, I have it loaned out to a friend right now! in my living room, I prac through w/the 'stang bass through a small 1x12" musicman bass combo amp.

the spiel about an acoustic bass guitar needing an amp is true: not much acoustic sound out of the ones I've heard, especially in the low end - nothing like an upright.

on bass, watt

p.s. oh, that cat in the geraldine fibbers was bill and he's a great player and person, check out:

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

6. Stick O'Dbwee

Stick O'Dbwee

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, I still would like to get an upright. but they are not cheap. I was just watching the Violent Femmes play on the Connan OBrien show. The bass player used a huge accoustic bass (not upright however) and it sounded really good. Talk about econo... the drummer plays with a snare and thats it.

I don't know, I'm happy with my Tacoma. Eventually, someday, I'll spring for the upright.
  7. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Yeah, I'd like to try an Earnie Ball Earthwood, like Brian Ritchie has, they be's hard to find though
  8. basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I always run my tacoma through and amp when practicing with others. I put some Labella Nylon tape wound strings on it and it sounds really amazing... not clangy warm with as close to upright tone as you going to get on an ABG. The strings are expensive usually. Carvin.com has the best deal but charge a lot for s/h (still cheaper then other places). I buy multiple sets at a time.
  9. Uprightboy

Uprightboy Burney

Jul 20, 2006
    West Memphis, Arkansas
    I have a new Takamine acoustic Electric bass and love it. It sounds good unplugged, too. It is no comparison to my 63 Kay M-1 upright, but I am not dissappointed in it. I played several different acoustics in the store and this one sounded best plugged in. There were 3 identical to it and they all sounded different. Some of the more expensive acoustic basses sounded horrible. So, you have to really do some shopping to find a good one.
    _Burney Warren