Tacoma CB10 or Olympia....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jblaven, Nov 18, 2002.

1. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    I understand that Tacoma makes the Olympia.

Question is:

What is the difference between these models?

2. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I own a Tacoma CB10. They have come out with a new variety of wood combinations and finishes.

I saw an Olympia at the Fairfax, Virginia Guitar Center this past weekend and tried it out. It didn't sound too bad. I could tell a difference, but it still sounded alot better than all of the other ABGs I have tried. I didn't look at the price.

If I was getting my first ABG and couldn't afford a Tacoma, I'd get the Olympia.
  3. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Sorry, to answer your question, it is foreign made (translation: cheaper labor=lower cost) and probably not as well made nor with thesamequality materials as the Tacoma. I didn't plug it in to hear it amplified.

Unamped, it kinda sounded almost as good as a Tacoma.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read reports that the Olys have glued in necks, where the Tacomas have extremely unconventional (for an acoustic) bolt-ons. I wonder how different the contruction is of the Olys, particularly the top bracing which is the key to how loud the CB-10 family is.

I love my Tacoma and I got one as soon as they came out even before there was a hard case. If I was buying today I'd seriously consider an Oly.
  5. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002
    Are there any Olympia owners out there?

I found the Tacoma CB10 at Musicians Friend. But they don't carry the Olympia. I did find the Olympia online, it seems to cost 1/2 the CB10. It makes me wonder if the CB10 is worth the extra cost?:rolleyes:

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do a search here. Someone recently bought an Olympia and returned it and bought the Tacoma. Their experience may be useful for you.
  7. jblaven

Nov 18, 2002

Santa was nice to me. I will be receiving the CB10 for Christmas. :p

Now all I need to do is learn how to play it.:rolleyes:

Just ordered it today!
  8. BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    I own one. I paid about $500. The headstock snapped off of the first one I had, and Tacoma replaced the bass. It sounds very nice overall but the intonatination is off. Also after about 3 1/2 years, the plastic bridge piece is cracked. It's gonna need some work, but I still like it.
  9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The Tacoma is made in America with solid spruce top and solid sides. It has a bolt-on neck. It is exceptionally well made, and has a great tone unplugged. They sell for a little under $1K

The Olympia is made in Korea with laminated top and sides. It has a set (glued) neck. It is well made, and has a good tone unplugged. They sell for around $400.

I've played them back-to-back. I held out for the Tacoma, but the Olympia is probably 70-80% of the bass for half the price. It was probably a mistake to play the Tacoma, as once I had played one, I was filled with GAS, and had to have one. Had I not played one, I would have been quite happy with the Olympia, which is a good ABG at a great price.

Tacomas sometimes show up used for about $600 -- only a few hundred more than a new Olympia. Get what fits your budget -- you will probably be happy with either.

The Tacoma also came in a five-string model, which is what I got. No five-string Olympias are made, AFAIK.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got an Olympia, got it used at BassNW for $199. It is the second best ABG out there.

The best is big daddy, the Tacoma. It is worth the price difference, if you can afford it.

I will probably get one some day.

But if you don't have much to spend, the Olympia is louder and projects better than anything else out there. And sounds very good too.