Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma CB105 - how's your neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by busmandan, Feb 23, 2005.

1. I have a fretted Tacoma CB105, purchased about three years ago from BassNW. Although I don't play it that often, I've tried to take care of it, keeping a humidifier in the case as recommended by Tacoma.

Over the time I've had it, the neck has progressively bowed - to the point that the strings are about 3/8" off the fretboard at the 12th fret. Although the neck has a truss rod, it's only single action - so backing the truss rod off isn't helping. If there was ever a guitar that needed a dual-action truss rod, it's this one.

I know I can take it to a good repair shop and get it fixed, but is there anything I can do to keep it from happening again?

-- Dan --

2. basscentric

basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    I can't really speak to the remedy. But, I can help with prevention... when I don't play my tacoma for a while i tune everything down a note. This keeps the pressure off the neck. My music teacher suggested it and I haven't had problems with my neck the last four years.

3. I have two CB-105s, a fretted and a fretless.

I have had to shim my neck pockets with progressive shims on both basses to get the action down after they adjusted to Maui climate. This was done at the advice of Bass Northwest.

Since I have shimmed them, they have stayed in decent setup, though I do tune them down a bit and I keep silica gel in the cases.

Aloha,

Jonathan

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Over the time I've had it, the neck has progressively bowed - to the point that the strings are about 3/8" off the fretboard at the 12th fret. Although the neck has a truss rod, it's only single action - so backing the truss rod off isn't helping.

If the neck is bowed, "backing the truss rod off" is exactly the wrong thing to do. You want to tighten it.

5. Last night, I spent a while tightening the truss rod. It's a really tight fit, even using the truss rod wrench supplied with the bass. Anyway, I've got it pretty close to factory set-up specs. I'm going to let it sit for a couple of days and let the wood adjust to the new setting before I try to get it any closer to factory spec.

-- Dan --