1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tacoma has really pissed me off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ggunn, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a Thunderchief fretless, and I like it a lot, only sometimes I want the fretless sound and sometimes I don't. I called one of their service centers and inquired about buying a fretted neck for it, and Tacoma will not sell me one. W T F not?

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Did they say why not? Can you exchange your fretless neck for a fretted? Some manufacturers are afraid of people building instruments with their parts which are not up to standards, and then somebody finding said experiment thinking it is an original.

Say you buy a Tacoma neck and then buy a cheap chinese bass and use just the chinese body to built a new bass, well, a new Tacoma bass. . . (hypotetically, as we know there are slim chances of any production bass being compatible with a Tacoma bass, as their specs are probably very specific).

But that is why they do it, or don't do it, rather.

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    they aren't the only ones. Warwick, EB, Fender(?). They would be more likely to do a swap (if it's damaged), but not give you a new neck.

4. Just a suggestion here but why not just buy a Tacoma Oylmpia fretted bass, remove the neck and stick it on your Tacoma TC? Certainly cheaper than buying another TC if the Tacoma company refuses to strut. :meh:

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    The short answer is Tacoma doesn't have to sell you anything. They are in the business of selling guitars, not parts.

I know it sucks when you feel like you're entitled to everything and someone thinks otherwise.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What's entitlement got to do with it? I wanted to buy something from them, not have them give me something for free. I'm well aware that they don't have to sell it to me, though it wouldn't hurt them to do it and I'd really appreciate it. I'm disappointed, but that's life in the big city.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Just a thought, but... do you have a relationship with your friendly local music shop? I maintain a relationship with one of the larger independent shops in my area cause they have sometimes been able to get done what I could not do on my own. They managed to get me a certain official Fender part that gets a lot of left hand use and is typically not for sale to the general public (hint, hint). These relationships can be valuable sometimes.....

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    As already mentioned, there are lots of other companies who won't sell you a neck alone. I'm pretty certain that there aren't ANY companies that WILL do do it. There are tons of reasons, most already mentioned. Ever think there's a good chance they build an equal amount of bodies and necks? Would make sense. I think the main reason is so that their necks and logos don't wind up on other instruments.

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    A lot of guitar manufacturers won't do this. It's not just that Tacoma is messing with you or their customers in general. It would actually be completely weird if Tacoma would have sold you a neck, in fact.

There are a couple reasons, one of which is that they'd rather you buy a whole new guitar than constantly disassembling and reassembling the one they built. Another might be that they don't want something with the Tacoma name on it attached to some non-Tacoma body.

10. netface

netface

Jan 27, 2008
    NH
    they should sell you a neck and leave their good name off.

but then again they do one, and they have to do it for everyone.
    and then all hell would break loose!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Because if you want that, they want you to buy a whole new bass!

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Well, duh! ;^)

13. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    just a thought but contact them again and let them know that your disapointed and ask if they could perhaps set you up with dealer for deeply discounted price on a complete bass as a current owner. Most Mfgs are small, even the big ones are small when you compare them to other industries. Most really do try to honor the customer, you may be able to get an Olympia for little more than what you would pay for a neck. Just remember be nice, and let them know how much you enjoy the product.

14. charliet

charliet

Aug 29, 2007
    Tacoma, WA
    You scared me....i thought you were talking about the lovely city!!

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    TACOMA
    the reason I drink

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Tacoma was sleling necks through their dealers only last time I checked.

17. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    They also probably don't want to have to warrant parts assembled by untrained people and spend the time servicing a single purchase.

18. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If you're open to it, there's an Olympia for sale here for $150. Who knows what kind of shape it's in for that price but they could probably get you pics.

19. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I don't know if this spec has changed, but I have a 2002 or so Olympia and it's built like a regular acoustic guitar- that is, the neck is set into what I assume is a dovetail joint.

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The Tacomas are bolt-on.