Tacoma Query

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElMon, Jan 17, 2006.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Has anyone had any experience with a thunderchief 5string fretless? I'm curious if it captures an upright vibe and most importantly, I'm anxious to hear about the sound and volume of the b string unplugged, and the balance between the strings when amplified.
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have a five-string fretted Tacoma.

Balance between strings amplified is quite good, though feedback can be a real pain in the arse. Fortunately, the E4 model has a phase switch, etc. which helps.

B string sounds good unplugged. It's not booming, but it's not weak either. It's ever so slightly quieter than the E string. If you've played a Tacoma, you know how loud (or not loud depending on your perspective) they can be. It's loud for an ABG, but not nearly in the same league as an upright in terms of unplugged volume.

No ABG truly captures the upright vibe, but if you string a Tacoma with nylon tapewounds, it has a very pleasing warm thumpiness to it. I haven't had the privilege of playing a fretless Tacoma. I do have a fretless Godin A4, which has a tremendous plugged-in tone, but sounds a little anemic and thin unplugged, particularly in comparison to the richness of the Tacoma.

It's probably best to play at least a four-string model before you spend top $$$ on a Tacoma. A lot of people expect them to be as loud as a loud acoustic guitar. Physics, on the other hand, says "no way." The Tacoma is about as big an ABG as you can readily find (Earthwoods aren't too common), and there's no way around the need for size in reproducing and projecting low tones.
  3. ksukev

Aug 24, 2004
    I've got a Tacoma CB105C with the L.R. Baggs preamp in it. It's real level throughout. I'd highly recommend using a Baggs Para-acoustic DI along with it. The top is SO live that feedback can be a bit of a problem if you don't have a good EQ. I actually traded in my Modulus Fretless 5 plus cash for the Tacoma because I wanted the upright tone without hauling around my dogbox all the dang time. My new gig is an acoustic 3 piece where I have to do quite a bit of singing so my fretless 5 is leaving to make way for a fretted 5 (what can I say, I'm lazy). I'm asking $850, let me know if you're interested.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you want to capture the upright vibe in an ABG, there's nothing that's going to do that except a Takamine B10, which is more upright than ABG. I don't think the B10 is available as a 5 string though.