1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TACOMA thundercheif, 2-piece Seam down middle?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rossiman, Jan 20, 2013.

1. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    I noticed that on some Thunderchiefs the Spruce top is very consistent, almost as if its a single piece, but on some there is an apparent seam down the middle and two slightly different tones of wood.

I was wondering, are all Tacoma Thunderchiefs have their seams down the middle?
    And if its noticeable, does that mean it will crack more easily? (due to humidity lets say).

Thanks

2. bluebird28

bluebird28

Feb 25, 2012
    Tacoma. WA
    I will check mine later today and report back what I find. I don't think I have to worry about spliting wood in western,;) WA.

3. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    I've had a 10C and a 20C, both were seamless.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Don't know about the Tacomas, but most flat-top acoustic guitars do have two-piece tops, joined right in the middle. Top end ones are book-matched, but I don't recall every seeing a one-piece top on any decent acoustic flat-top.

Sometimes the seam is really hard to make out.

John

5. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    Just was wondering whether if a acoustic guitar/bass had a noticeable seam down the middle if it would split more easily than one with an unnoticeable seam (or a seam in a different area)

6. My initial thought is that no, it won't.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    That is called runout. Search the Acoustic Guitar Forum, there is an extremely interesting, informative and LONG thread all about runout. Warning, it does get pretty technical, but you can read past most of it if needed. Highly recommended, you will learn a whole lot about wood! :cool:

IIRC, it is in the Custom Shop section.

8. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks! I found the link about Runout (http://www.lutherie.net/frankford.runout.html) Very education for acoustics.

I am just on the fence between two Tacomas.
    One has an LR Baggs (I know not the most preferred but I like the look of it and I dont really care for feedback) and is pre2004/preFender.. It comes with a beat up case but I also like the white velvet "tacoma" brand cases

The other one is a newer 2005 (it might not make a difference but I read somewhere that postfender Tacomas were not as good)..Practically mint, black velvet generic case, superior Fishman Prefix Plus.......just the only thing that makes me OCD for appearance and structural integrity is the Runout or different tone halves....

9. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
  10. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    I was looking at this Tacoma with Runout (check out a couple of the pictures)
    Tacoma on Ebay

tell me if im wrong,,,I may just be getting superstitious after hearing about all the top splits with Tacomas and people who prefer preFender

11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That runout isn't so bad looking, I have seen far more pronounced runout, but as you have probably learned, lighting does make a big difference in how well it is seen in a photo and in person. For the most part runout is cosmetic unless it is really severe looking.

From the little I have read about the brand Tacoma had a very highly regarded reputation; I can't speak to the FMIC owned company, but me personally, I would not own a product that was made by them in recent years, for several reasons, one being that FMIC has become the CBS that we all hated so long ago, IMHO.

12. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Mine is 2 piece and it was slightly split below the bridge when I got it in winter from a Chicago music store that had it hanging high on the wall and as soon as I got it home here in high humidity South Florida, I wiped the seam with a fairly damp cloth, laid the cloth on it for a couple of days moving it often and the seam closed up and has never given me a problem. Mines a 5-string fretless. My only issue is the 5 on a 4-string neck spaing is ultra tight for me.

13. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I had a 5 string Tacoma for about a day. They just crammed five strings onto a four string neck; even at the bridge the strings were so close together that I couldn't get my fingers between them. I sent it back and got a four string Tacoma. The B on the 5 string was nearly inaudible anyway.

mtb777 likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021