Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma Thunderchief Action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BigTed, Jul 16, 2002.

1. BigTed

BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Does Anyone know how to raise the action on a Tacoma Thunderchief ABG? I tend too dig in hard, and I'm getting some gnarly fret buzz. There doesnt appear to be any way to raise the bridge, so I am assuming the truss rod needs fidgeted. Is adjusting the truss rod, something a relative-newbie should try, or should I find a good luthier in town.

If I should find a luthier, what are the makings of a good one? What should I look out for? Also, I live in San Diego, so if anyone has a favorite luthier in the area, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

-Ted

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tacoma can supply you with new saddle blanks - they'll usually toss a couple in an envelope for free if you ask nicely. However, I'd perform a setup on the neck first.

The bass setup instructions on MrGearhead.com work fine for ABG, too. There's no reason you can’t do it yourself - as a matter of fact, you *should* know how to do basic setups! You should have the neck nut tool in the case - if not, take your bass to the hardware store and find an appropriate nut driver.

You can contact Tacoma for their recommended setup data - don’t forget an ABG usually has a higher action than a BG.

Let us know how it goes!

3. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Hi everyone,

I just dug up this thread from the archives. I was just wondering if anyone here has changed the saddle banks on an abg bridge before, and if it raised the action substantially?

My reason for asking is that I got an inexpensive and nice abg yesterday - a Cort SJB3. It plays great, but the action is a bit low (strings really close to the frets - small rattle when you play the e especially) so that could be improved. The neck looks straight and the intonation is alright (tuners a bit flimsy though), so I think I don't have to work with the trussrod yet.

I assume you can get these through the website of Cort for Europe, should there be one?

Thanks!
    Niels

4. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Thanks, I'll definitely try that, while using those setup sites.

But I feel it will not be enough...it might be enough to stop de e-string from rattling a bit, but playing with a harder attack will remain difficult and so will be creating a more satisfying volume.

Niels

5. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
  6. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    That's a very clear explanation, thanks!

It does have electronics installed, and they're in the bridge.

I'll look for something slim and thin to try this out (perhaps a piece of wood or plastic could be useful? - but I guess it shouldn't resonate too much, right?).

I'll be travelling for two weeks, so I'll try this when I return. I'll also email the Cort technical support people, maybe they have replacement saddles as well.

Niels