Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma Thunderchief pick-ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by iDavid, Feb 5, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have a CB10F-E4 and it came with the Fishman. It is a good setup, but it still sounded like most other undersaddle setups. Too much finger noise or brilliance. I wanted a more resonant sound. I now run a K&K Pure transducer and it is wired straight to the output jack. I either use a K&K preamp, or run it straight to my Acoustic Image head.

I played the Baggs (earlier E3 option) equipped Tacomas before buying mine with a Fishman (E4 option), then got to A/B and I think the Baggs sounded fuller but the Fishman had a more complete EQ section. The B-band wasn't available until recently.

My experience with the onboard notch controls is that they help in marginal situations, but they won't let you crank it up through a big amp. You still need to be sensible with your amp placement and gain levels. AFAIK the B-band isn't attached to the body and might give better feedback resistance.

Good Luck. I have no idea what is up with the pricing. Just be sure you are comparing the same finish grade i.e. CB10's and not a CB10 to a CB28.

3. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    So, your using the K and K then....

Is that the Pure Bass? Sorry, I'm new to this acousitc pick up deal

So, I also assume putting the K and K into the Tacoma wasn't a problem...

thanks again

david

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had a K&K Pure Bass system in my Tacoma CB10C for about four years now, and love it. I went with the external preamp, but to be honest I usually plug in without it and have no problems.

In my opinion, the K&K is woodier sounding than the undersaddle piezos. I can't say that I dislike the Fishman or Baggs versions, but I do prefer the K&K. The K&K kills with my chosen ABG string - LaBella black nylon tapes. (Get them cheap at Carvin.com.)

One thing about the K&K is that they are microphonic - if your playing style is dynamic enough that you're brushing and tapping the top, that will get amplified, too. Not really a big issue for me.

Installation was a breeze. My forearm was a little too big to get into the soundhole far enough to reach the bridgeplate, but my guitarist had no problem at all. It took about twenty minutes, which included a cigarette break and a few minutes to unstick his hand from the inside of the bass. (K&K uses superglue to mount the transducers.) Mine was already predrilled for a through-endpin jack (I think all Tacomas are), so jack installation was a no-brainer.

I have a new CB105C on the way to me right now, and it's another pure acoustic with no pickup or preamp. I'm either going to install another Pure Bass (the three transducer version this time), or maybe the Ultra Pure with the internal preamp. Dunno yet.

Go for the version without pickups!

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Yes, I installled the K&K Pure Bass/Tenor pickup. It is a 2-transducer setup.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, what's up with that? My new five was considerably less than a comparable four from the same store. It's not like there's a glut of five string Thunderchiefs out there to pull the price down!

8. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    thanks man,

do you pop and slap on your tacoma... I hear a guy doing that on a fretted version and it sounded pretty damn good, but he didn't beat it to death either. Would that be a problem with the Pure Bass pick-up?

and

where does that little pre-amp go?

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    No slap here, but I do play mine a lot with a felt pick. Great tone and more volume.

The Ultra preamp would stick to a magnet that is attached to the underside of the top next to the soundhole - there's drawings at the link I gave above.

10. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    anyone heard the tacoma with the EMG E2?

thanks
    david