Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tacoma Thunderchief Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan1099, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So I got this bass a little while ago, and promised pics and a full review, but never got around to doing it. Well, here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I recieved this bass as a gift from my girlfriend. A quality Acoustic Bass has been something I have been mulling over for some time, and she suprised me with it. It was purchased used on the classified section here.

Upon unwrapping the box it came in, I was first taken by the quality of the case. It comes with the guitar, and is very sturdy, and is lined in a very soft, plus material. It also has a nice storage compartment under the neck of the guitar. All in all, a notch above most manufacturer's cases.

The bass itself is beautiful, in an understated, elegant way. There is no binding, no rosette, no fancy inlays. Just simple, pretty wood. When I picked it up, I was impressed with how it fit my body. It felt nice and comfortable, and balanced well on my knee. I began playing it, and was amazed at the volume it put out. Most ABG's I've tried are severely lacking in the volume department, and forcer you to play aggresively to keep up with an acoustic guitar or two. This bass would easily hold its own in an intimate gig, or a campfire jam session (which is what I mostly wanted it for).

Once I got over the sheer volume this produced, I started focusing on the tone. I was really impressed with it's tone. It doesnt sound overly thin or tinny like some acoustics, but instead, rich, detailed and warm, and definitely woody. There is no confusing this for an electric, tone wise. It has great low-end presence, without being muddy or overbearing, and it's mids are well defined, and complex. The harmonic content of this guitar is amazing! You can hear several harmonics on any position in the neck, with incredible clarity and detail. I spend fully 10 minutes just playing long, sustained Gs on the E string, and listening to the complex, beautiful harmonics that it emitted. Also, it really sounded great whether I was playing with a light touch, or really digging in. When babied, the bass creates warm, rich tone, which is bassy, yet focused. When you attack it hard, it gains a powerful bite and growl.

Once I got to playing around a bit more, (and got over that sweet, sweet tone!) I started paying attention to the playability of it. It plays quite well, all over the neck, with a low, clean action, and no fret buzzes. My only complaint about its playability is the diffulty in playing slap, but this is to be expected in any Acoustic Bass of this size. It's not that slap is impossible, but it is just more difficult, and sonically, not all that impressive. It responds BEAUTIFULLY, however, to both fingerstyle and pickstyle playing. Each method sounds different, and I constantly find myself putting the pick down, and picking it back up again moments later.

I played it plugged in only for a few moments, through an Ampeg B100R. Even plugged in, it retains it's distinct acoustic character, just louder. The preamp is very versatile, in what limited capacity I used it. Even maxing the bass knob, the sound was still controlled and tight, never muddy, but with a new found depth and rumble. At lower volumes, no feedback was present at all, even when I was sitting right in front of my amplifier. When cranking it up to a moderately loud level, while sitting right by the amp, it started feeding back. This was easily corrected by way of the phase switch on the bass.

The only problem I have discovered with it was a slight rattle while really digging in on the A and D strings. I reached my hand inside, and found the cable on the inside that led from the pre to the output jack hanging against the back limply. A small peice of scotch tape was all that was require to fix this, but I wonder....why would they use such a long cable to reach such a short distance? Anyway, it was a minor problem at best.

All in all, I couldnt be much happier with it. There are few things I would change about it, and almost none that aren't esoteric appearance-type things. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a practice bass for low volumes around the home, small coffee house gigs, or jamming with acoustic guitar players. It's great.

3. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Dan Glad you like the bass, I was the one who sold it to your girlfriend. Man you are lucky to have a girlfirend like that. I will have another sometime.
    It could prolly use a minor truss rod adjustment the action was a tad high.
    Had to get rid of it due to a new house and those pesky bills. Enjoy it I loved that bass :bawl: , and I miss it already.
    I played it fingerstyle all the time and to me sounds better with just a very light touch with the plucking hand
    Sounds so good and earthy plugged in especially while thumb plucking the E and A strings. You get that boomy deep bass like an upright would sound.
    Glad it found a new home where it will be played and appreciated.