1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tacoma Thunderchief Woes..Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by squeegeebrown, Nov 1, 2006.

1. I've had my Thunderchief for a couple years. Tone-wise, I love it.

I play solo bass in a manner simlar to say, John Fahey's acoustic guitar style, Pullman,Kottke. Lots of fingerpicking etc. Everything works-the tone-width of the neck- feel-aesthetics
    but-the neck is so danged long for me!

Hesitate to give up the sound but can someone recommend
    a bass similarly priced (perhaps a trade) that would be more easily playable without sacrificing quality?

Any help= much appreciation!

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

By "the neck is so long" do you mean the scale (34") is too long? Or that the body is so large?

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Pretty much all the ABGs I've played are 34" scale. Most of them have smaller bodies, which I guess makes the neck stick out a little less far, I guess.

If you're looking for tone and volume, though, you probably won't find too many other ABGs that are available and affordable that will stack up well against your Tacoma. The body size on the Tacoma is the reason it has a relatively loud (for ABGs) sound, and a decent bottom end. You just can't beat physics. I've played a number of smaller-bodied ABGs, and they just didn't have as good tone and volume, IMO.

As for short-scale ABGs, I haven't played any of them. There might be some decent ones out there, I guess.

3. Yeeps..Yeah sorry didn't make that real clear.
    The size of the body is what is making the neck seem so blasted long.

Thanks for helping me to clear the fog:)

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Ahhh. OK.
    The Tacoma body is certainly large. That is what gives it the great tone and halfway-decent volume that it has.

If you go with a smaller-bodied ABG, the volume will be lower. That's physics. However, since in most situations an ABG has to be amplified anyway, it's not a huge deal.

Lots of great ABGs exist with smaller bodies than the Tacoma. The Fender Victor Bailey is nice. So is the Martin ABG. On the cheaper front, the Takamine is pretty solid. If you can afford it, Taylor makes a really sweet ABG, but it's pricey.

5. brooster

brooster

Sep 7, 2006
    East Tennessee
    If you know a good luthier you could get a neck made that would give your bass a 30 inch scale. You could buy the La Bella strings used on Rob Allen's Mouse Bass and have an acoustic Mouse!

6. Guild made a 30" scale ABG that was really nice. Thinner body than your Tacoma, but it sounds just as nice plugged in. I've owned both... I seem to see them pretty regularly on eBay.

Good luck!

Tony

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    You guys wouldn't happen to know where something like that is available in the US, would you? 30" scale resonator bass?

Personally, I love how 'country and western' it looks. :D

8. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    How exactly does a resonator guitar/bass work? I've seen an Ozark resonator bass for sale here once at a place called Skyline music in Cleveland, years back. It was moderately priced and I didn't get a chance to play it and I've been kicking myself.

9. Fender do/did this one, and I've heard a rumour that Fender instruments are for sale in the US.

Looks tasty that one.

10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm pretty sure that's discontinued, at least in the US.

11. Check out the Breedlove AGBs they feel a little smaller than the Thunderchief (I have a TC as well) and sound/feel great.