1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tacoma Thunderchief

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RustyAxe, Aug 30, 2008.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I've got a line on a 4-string, fretted Thunderchief. I've read most what's here about them, all great stuff. I'll be driving a ways to see it. It's said to be barely used, no fret wear, just a small ding ... etc, etc. I'm not sure when it was new, but it has the Baggs pickup and pre-amp.

Is there anything peculiar to these basses that I should check out specifically? Thanks!

2. Nitkin

Nitkin

Aug 10, 2002
    Barcelona,Spain
    Check the truss-rod and preamp. That`s all.
    Then get set of Thomastiks. Tune it up. You`ll become happiest person in a block)))

3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Bought the guitar ... and love it! :hyper: The action is a tad high, but that can be remedied ... I think it's just a tweak of the truss rod, but I'll have my guy look at it. It sounds great though, looks good for an 8 year old guitar, and will fit the bill perfectly. :bassist:

4. Does anybody know if Tacoma still makes new fretless Thunderchiefs?

5. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks to the ownership of Fender, I don't think Tacoma's making much of anything with their name on it these days. The original manufacturing facility is/has moved to the east coast and they have pared back their line of guitars considerably. Nothing new has been developed since Fender took over.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Thunderchief is a truly wonderful musical instrument. Keep in mind when doing a set-up that the neck is bolt-on and shimming to fine tune the neck pitch is extremely easy. Mine has a shim in it and I'm much happier with it than pre-shim.

7. Well I meant not new models, but brand new basses. As in, if I want a fretless Tacoma Thunderchief, do I have to buy a used one or I can buy a new one in a store?

8. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I got mine from Elderly Instruments.

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sad - I've been lusting after a fretless thunderchief for a while... the only one I've seen recently was at McCabes music in Santa Monica (a fine store, by the way - just not much of a bass place)