Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tacoma without a pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by r05c03, Dec 15, 2005.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    I am looking at a tacoma CB10-1. It does not have a pickup (acoustic only). Is there any way that I could electrify it?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Sure. I used a K&K Pure Tenor/Bass unit in mine. It came with the Fishman, but all of that is gone. It attaches to the underside of the bridgeplate (inside the body) and sounds great. IIRC the CB10s without the electronics are still drilled for a regular endpin jack. So it should be pretty straightforward. The hardest part is getting access. Any decent acoustic guitar guy can knock it out. A mirror, some long forceps, and some super glue and you are in business.

You could also go with an undersaddle setup. I'm not big on them but they are easy, and maybe easier than the K&K, to install.

Either way I'd just go with an external preamp. One less thing to mount in the bass.

3. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That won't work, given the placement of the Tacoma's soundhole.

fretlessrock loves the K&K he put on his Tacoma -- it's probably the best way to go. His posts darn near convinced me to go without the Fishman, but my laziness won out. I like the Fishman, so I'm happy.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Gee, I thought a Tacoma was a pickup.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Another vote for the K&K.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Pete - how's the K&K sound relative to the stock Fishman? And did you ever get a chance to try out any of the Turner / D-TAR stuff as well? I've been thinking about a Tacoma lately, and had it in mind that a D-TAR pickup (not sure which one) would be good for it... haven't yet looked into the K&K at all, though.

8. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    I had mine wired with a fishman ellipse (combination of under saddle piezo and a small condenser mic on a flexible boom).

Its something a pro would have to install--very nice sound. On the downside, its a pretty expensive rig.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've always consider this method "the way" to go with a decent ABG (and would certainly do should I obtain my dream ABG, a Taylor AB-series) - the combination of piezo attack and miked "moved air" sounds wonderful.

If possible, can you post or PM me the price you paid including installation? I've always wondered about it...

10. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    The K&K sounds very different from the Fishman Prefix Plus that came stock on my CB10F-E4. The Fishman always had this stringy sound that I couldn't seem to get rid of. It wasn't horrible, and it may have been good in some settings. I'm sure that it made some coffeehouse soundguy comfortable because it sounds more like an acoustic guitar. The K&K sounds like the bass sounds, and plugged in it really does have that "mini-URB" thing. I'm kinda strapped for time but I want to record my CB10 both unplugged and direct for comparison. I'll post it when I do. Maybe this will get me off my butt.

I find that it is no more or less feedback prone, but the Fishman had a built in notch control. I now have an AI Focus which has a notch, so I can use that.

I use a K&K Pure beltpack preamp as a buffer and then the send that to the amp. That gives me some vol/tone control at the bass. I'd suggest having a mute footswitch if you were going to push some volume. When I had the Fishman I had the bass/amp go into feedback and cranking the volume all the way off didn't stop it! :help:

I still have to make up a coverplate to close the hole where the Fishman was. Funny: with the hole open it acts like my own personal bass monitor. It changes the resonance of the body a lot too.

11. wombolombo

wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    My Tacoma came with their (back when 'they' weren't Fender) entry level preamp. I took it out and had a K&K put in, and it sounds EXCELLENT. I'd recomment buying it without a preamp and then putting in the K&K.

Warning, though, the K&K is tough to put in because of the positioning of Tacoma's sound hole. You need to make sure your luthier has a 13 year-old son with long, skinny arms!

12. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I got a break on the installation because I had the hole from the original preamp to help me with access. BUT, if you don't then here is how it would go:

The output jack will mount through the endblock. The K&K is made to mount in a standard guitar endpin jack hole. If you don't have that then get a luthier to do it, or buy the tool. Don't just eyeball it and drill a hole. The endpin jack goes in from the inside and the strap button is what secures it to the endblock. I guess if you were having a luthier drill it then have him do the rest of the job.

Now you have the two pucks on the K&K that need to be attached. get a light and a flat mirror into the body so you can see the underside of the bridgeplate. Then use a long curved forceps to grab one of the pucks, with the tip pointing up at the top. drop a little CA on the puck and place the first one between the E and A. Do the second one the same way between the D and G. If you want to try first then use the double stick adhesive and make it permanent when you are happy with the balance. When you use the CA it should be louder, but the balance should be the same.

I don't even know if a 13 year old can reach through the soundhole. My 12 year old nephew is 5' 5' and 160 pounds!

BTW, even with the big rectangular hole from the Fishman, in addition to the soundhole, this job was not easy. Take your time and it should be not so hard. Still, it is a bit of a blind install.