1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tactile position markers?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by c0d3h4x0r, Jul 24, 2007.

1. c0d3h4x0r

c0d3h4x0r

Oct 17, 2006
    Sammamish, WA
    Has anyone ever heard of tactile position markers being used on the back of an electric bass guitar neck to facilitate playing without looking?

I recently saw Les Claypool in concert for the umpteenth time, but this was the first time I noticed that he had little strips of grip-tape stuck to the back of his electric upright's neck. I assume it was for exactly this purpose.

I've played bass for about eight years, and while I can play some things partially by feel, I still have to glance down at the neck pretty frequently to get my fretting hand positioned accurately. But now I'm in a band where I'm playing and singing simultaneously, and that means I can't look down at the neck while also staying up on the mic. Despite my best efforts to practice exactly that for months, I still find myself sometimes ending up on the wrong frets when I have to move my entire fretting hand around the neck, because there's no tactile frame of reference.

So I'm thinking about trying this approach... I don't want to use a tape with such a strong adhesive that it will screw up the finish on my bass, but I also don't want to use something that can't stand up to hours of playing with sweaty hands. I'm thinking that maybe skateboard grip tape would be the way to go, but I'm open to other suggestions. Has anyone here done this kind of thing?

2. I've got some marks on my neck, but I never did train myself to feel for them. Little braille inlays would be cool though.