Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dragen, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    I suffer from some tendonitis, although not serious, it got me thinking: I want to play bass for a long time. How: I need to get in shape and strenghten my joints without damaging them further. It eventually boiled down to Tai'chi. The problem is I don't know how it is done. Do any of you practice or have been practicing tai'chi? ( I know this may not belong in this forum, but I feel it is relevant)Please advice me.
  2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I don't know about Taï Chi, but when I was practicing a little Haïkido, my forearms and wrists were really stronger and more flexible. I had less cramps or pains when playing too much bass.
    Perhaps yoga can do the trick too ?
  3. If you can afford it maybe you ought to check into acupunture/acupressure(sp?),that's if you're not afraid of needles.
  4. Dragen

Aug 31, 2000
    hehe......needles are not nice..they scare me
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Umm perhaps you could go x-c skiing. It's not prolly helping much on your fingers but it strenghtens your arms and legs, and is one of the best aerobic excersises there is. It is also extremely rare to get yourself injured while skiing because motions are smooth and don't stress your knees, ankles, etc as jogging or running does.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been a practitioner of Yoga for a few years, and it's had a very distict impact on my playing. Yoga (and tai chi) helps to increase blood flow, oxygenates the body, helps increase the ability to focus under adverse situations and increases flexibility. I *highly* recommend it. Plus there's the whole Sting thing :)

As to how to learn tai chi (or yoga), try a video. Target, believe it or not has a ton, as do any of the major stores (Media Play, etc etc).

Good Luck (and Namaste)
  7. Hmmm...from my (very limited) understanding of tai chi, there are several different...'styles', if you will. I had a teacher who used to practice/do tai chi, and she said it was something like "circle form" or something like that. I also had a friend who did "square" tai chi, or something like that. Then again, this was all about 7 years ago, so my memory of it isn't exactly the best. Besides the fact that I didn't really like that teacher... :p

But there is ONE...move? in tai chi that I DO know...and it's done VEEEERY slowly...but basically the way it's describes is "halving the water melon". What you do is you mime out the shape of a large watermelon in front of you with your hands. Then you take one of your hands and 'cut it in half'. Then you 'push one half to the right', and then 'push the other half to the left'. I've actually seen a lot of people do it, and it looks interesting. I just don't know if I would want to do it. :D
  8. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Tai Chi is technically considered a kung fu. The basic premise behind is to increase the flow of your chi through a choreographed routine. It is considered a martial art, and in the most advanced forms of Tai Chi, can definitely be applied to self-defense. The Tai Chi most of us are familiar with though, is the one we always see done by elderly people in the park in San Francisco. Which does actually happen by the way.

Tai Chi is a very slow martial art. The moves are done deliberately as slow as possible. It stressed fluidity of motion and harmony in those motions. Breathing is stressed, as it is fundamental to increasing the flow of your chi. It requires great practice and patience to learn Tai Chi.

Chi, is essentially your life essence. It is a force flowing along different channels through your body. It is the same force that is harnesses and utilized by many martial artists. Some of the prime examples are Aikido (the "ki" part being chi in Japanese, traditional chinese is really "qi," not "chi"). Chi is real, and it is very powerful. Poor chi circulation can lead to muscle, tendon, and ligament, strain, and disease, or more mild ailments like stomach or head pain. Increasing chi circulation to a painful area of the body can strengthen that area and heal the problem. This is the premise behind acupuncture and acupressure. Regular treatments can increase chi circulation to an afflicted area, say the wrist, and heal the tendonitis. I don't like needles, but do receive acupuncture on a weekly basis, and I swear by it. Don't think of it as needles in the traditional sense. They have helped me with my bouts with tendonitis.

If you're interested in Tai Chi, look it up under martial arts in the yellow pages. Or, if there's a JC or Adult Learning Center in your area, often times they offer a class. It's usually relatively cheap, and highly effective. Just approach it with an open mind, and patience.

Either way, good luck.
  9. Tai Chi is very good for keeping your body and joints supple. The art itself focus on anaerobic exercise which is basically getting the blood moving freely throughout the body this over long term increses the strength of muscles while keeping them thin and toned unlike weight training. I myself have over the last couple of years been practising a form of Ikido which has a large focus on anaerobic exercise and have noticed the long term effects it has. It helps to build your endurance and your overall fitness level quite lot. I suggest that Tai Chi would be a great way for you to achieve a workout but it will take time for this to become apparent as it will not be fully effective until your technique is good so as an added program swimming would be of great help as well as it gives the body a full work out but like I said for long term Tai Chi or something similar would be a great asset both mentally and physically right into your old age. Good luck with your choices and make sure if you aren't happy with your teacher then find another one.

10. Ok, My mum does Tai Chi. we call it "Karate on Valium" :p

Anyways, my mum would be in a wheelchair by now with her bad hips etc, but tai chi has allowed to stay out of that for about 5 yrs now. Its slow and actually harder than all that fast punching etc. Why? cause it is realy slow movements of the muscles, it doesn't yank them, but it puts weight on them. Sorta like you shouldn't do sit ups quickly, its a waste of energy, where if u did half slow ones it works the muscle more.

I am all for, not that i would do it :D, but if you want to try it, go for it dude.

11. Hello all. I am new here and have been enjoying your posts and eagerly awaiting something that I could help with (this does not include anuthing to do with bass... I thought I had it in the Oi thread a while back, but fate seemed to want to prevent me from posting my reply. =)

If you are looking for a book on Tai Chi, there is a really nice kit offered at One Spirit, it's a new age book club. Check out their web site at onespirit.com, I have found great books on Pilates and Yoga there, and am looking forward to receiving my Tai Chi kit.

12. they don't even hurt, it is pretty cool looking down at say your arm and seeing all these needles sticking out of you.
    my mom whent to this guy and recomended i go because my wrist was acting up. i go into the place tell the guy who i am and he says "did your mom tell you this didn't hurt?"
    i said yes, he said "she lied"

i really didn't hurt i think every one should try it at least once, again it is pretty cool
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My girlfriend is an acupuncturist, and I'm used as a guinea pig, much to my delight. I cannot say enough about it. Look, if the Chinese have been using it for 2000 years with excellent results, who am I to second guess it. It's really cool seeing the needles in you. There are two points I get done a lot, one is at the top of your nose, the center between your eyes, another is at the top center of your skull. It's neat seeing those needles in your face and head. I've had treatments for allergies (hay fever), headaches, stomach cramps, and tenodonitis in the wrist. It has worked wonders.

For those of you in SF, check out the American College for Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM). They have clinics at Fillmore and Potrero Hill. Excellent rates, and they will prescribe herbs as well.