Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tailpiece position/Velvet strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kip, May 29, 2003.

1. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I have Velvet Animas on and have noticed that the
    notes between the bridge and tailpiece on the "A" and "D" are nearly the same. Is there some correction necessary to tune the tailpiece position when using these strings? They have a long and unique wrap. Also, The loop end construction means that the string is now deadened above the tailpiece saddle instead of at the saddle. I recall Pete O'Leary mentioning these characteristics but don't recall any procedure peculiar to this type of string. Any thoughts would be appreciated.This bass has a tailpiece wire (not coat hangar) and is an ebony tailpiece. :confused:

2. I think you have to throw any tailpiece tuning out when dealing with these strings. The mass of the afterlength of the each string is nearly equal with Velvets, and not consistent throughout its length (because of the leader). In fact, I've come to believe that (eigenmodes aside) most tailpiece tuning formulae is so much hoohaa. Use a little intuition, tame wolves, set it and forget it. And learn to make the bass sound good by your playing.

3. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Seems I sometimes get caught up in the details and overlook the basics. Thanks for the reminder.:bassist: