Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tailpiece/tailgut replacement question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Andrew H, May 15, 2005.

1. I'm going to be replacing (upgrading) the tailpiece and tailgut on my Kay bass with the Wittner composite tailpiece and flexbile wire. I've searched the earlier threads on this subject and have seen that many people have done this themselves rather than take the instrument to a luthier, but I have not seen an answer to my question:

When replacing the tailpiece and tailgut, how does one prevent the soundpost from slipping or moving?

Thanks for the collective wisdom of this list,

-Andrew

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Conventional practice is to lay the bass on it's back with the neck properly supported and use something soft but heavy to put weight on the top and thus keep pressure on the post. Suggestions include, but are not limited to:

1. A sack of lead shot
    2. A bag of flour
    3. A plate weight (from a weight set) wrapped in a towel
    4. A small dog

3. Agreed!

4. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I would wrap the small dog in a towel also...

5. I used a bungie cord with the hooks wrapped in a towel.

6. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Dogs have hooks?

7. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You can purchase a nice, compact heavy bag of lead shot from a gun-supply store or kmart/target/camping store that sells gun reloading accessories. This bag really does the trick for all kinds of adjustments, (when you want to keep the post in place.)

I'm thinking you would want a medium sized dog, and it would help if he were dead. Live dogs move around too much.

8. Jeeze Nnick, he don't have to be dead. One 5 MG Valium will keep him nice and quiet long enough to do the work.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you use a dead dog, I agree with Mike, it should be wrapped in a towel.

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    and having it frozen will keep it from smelling. :rolleyes:

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    but then his BO won't match the AO. WWTD?

12. My dog's got no nose…

How does it smell?

…bloody terrible!

:)

13. Okay, so tonight I went out and force-fed lead shot to my neighbor's pet poodle. Now that it's dead, I've wrapped it in a towel, placed it on a 20lb. plate, and bound the whole thing with bungee cord. Now what was I supposed to do with this contraption again? :confused:

Seriously, though, I thought I had previously done exhasutive searches through the archives for this topic, but then I accidentally stumbled upon this thread about bridge removal today:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135295

Just thought I'd post it for anyone else who comes by this current thread. I think I liked best the suggestion to use a 1" wide nylon tiedown strap with ratchet, coupled with some styrofoam as a gauge of whether one has ratcheted the system too tightly.

Thanks again for all the great advice.