Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Takamine Background Check...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 4, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys, at my local pawn shop I found a Takamine acoustic/electric. Its got a nice sound and nice feel and its 600 bucks canadian for it with hardshell case, but I'm just wondering if Takamine is a good brand and such. So, is there anything I should know about them???

Also I've been told that peolpe tend to buy the acoustic basses just for the look since the sound isn't really that different when plugged in, any thoughts on that? Should I really be looking into getting an acoustic or do you think I'll use it to often? What are the uses for one?

Thanks for the input,

~JB~

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Takamine has an excellent reputation for acoustic instruments. I've played them a few times but just can't get around the thick body and never plugged one in, but I have to think they sound significantly different plugged in than a solid body would, otherwise we wouldn't be spending all the time we do talking about the difference in tone between this wood and that and the advantages of chambered or hollow body electrics.

That said, you could try to track down a Takamine Solid body. I only know of 2, one I own and one owned by Isimy here on TB (his looks nearly the same except for being a Flying V body shape.

[​IMG]

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Wow! how far did that thing set you back???

So are acoustics that practical, or do you not really use them lots????

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    bump

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO
    With the exception of high end pieces(Godin, Rick Turner, etc) I have yet to play an acoustic/electric bass guitar that felt good to me. I know there will be exceptions here, but they don't make a big sound. I have come to conclusion that acoustic/electric bass guitars under $500 exist because some people hear with their eyes. I have never played a Takamine bass before, I don't think they made many. If you like how it sounds and feels, get it...

6. Thats cool in retrometal sort of way that I'm digging tonight. The red binding is tasterlicious.

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IRRC it was around $450, but that was 20 years or so ago, I bought it new when I was in High School, so it's got the full 80's hair metal pedigree. The red "binding" is actually just paint and the inlays are pure grade A plastic, but the bass is neck thru mahogany and really plays rather nice.

As for acoustics being practical, I find them VERY uncomfortable to play in any position, siting or standing, which make them impractical for me. I also thing that the full body acoustic sound is VERY bright when playing fully acoustic which I don't like.

8. Takemine is a good name in acoustic instruments. I play my A/E unplugged sitting around the campfire when I don't care to expose my URB to the elements. No problems cutting through the mix. (not a Takemine, BTW, a Dean)

9. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Bass Drum,
    Check which model it is. Takamine makes three levels of ABG.
    > The Jasmine-ES50 is the intro level costing around $200.00(usd). there are several on ebay. search "takamine acoustic bass".
    > The EG512, I guess is the mid range, running $450.00-500.00 or so.
    > The B10, which is the upper level model, ~$2400.00. I would love to try one of these, as it looks like it can be played in a sitting, cello style position due to the angled neck and endpin.

I have the EG512. I use it for piano/bass duets, jazz trios, and a sax/trumpet front end quintet. It does needs to be amplified in thoes settings, but I prefer the acoustic tone over my EBG's; and it does have a different tone(to EBG's) when pluged in, as well as a different feel. I use it almost exclusively.

10. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Takamine makes fine acoustic instruments. They're not quite in the Taylor & Martin league acoustically, but they are very popular for their amplified acoustics. I own a nylon string acoustic elctric guitar that I like for it's smaller (for a Nylon string guitar) neck.

Besides that, I own/use two (archtop) Takamine B10 basses, which I consider the ideal solution for replacing an upright if, like me, you want a 34" scale.

I haven't tried the bass you're talking about though.

Side note; A few days ago I attended a concert by the famous Brazilian guitarist/songer Joao Bosco with an absolute top notch group. His bass player was using a cheapo Condor acoustic. He sounded excellent - but he would have on anything with 4 strings.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    BassFelt,
    Can you sit and play the B10 in a cello position?
    I found a thread where you posted a link with some sound clips of the B10, but was unable to open them. I'd love to hear it.
    M.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    2 questons here guys:

1.Can you play a B10 like a normal bass and rest it on ur leg? or does it have to be upright???

2.So are you saying if im going to get an acoustic get something like the Takamine B10 instead of ,say a Takamine EG512CFG ?

Thanks,

~JB~

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I just checked into those B10's and those are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE i guess I wont be getting one lol.

I forgot to mention, Im not sure what kind it was but it was priced aprox. 550-600 bucks at the pawn store and it has different electronics then the jasmine acoustic. It has Gain control, bass mid and treble graphic eq, bass boost button and a eq bypass button, anybody know what it is???

~JB~

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Wow Ive triple posted :bag:

OK does anyone know of any basses like the B10 but thats a little less expensive and a little more affordable for a student??

Thanks

15. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I found some pics of the controls on the Jasmine, and it clearly says "Jasmine" in big white letters, so you're probably looking at the EG512.

600.00 Canadian is about 488.00 US. I think you can find these (EG512's) new for less, and Jasmine's for a third of the price.

16. traceman

traceman

Mar 9, 2005
    Hey!
    I found a takamine bass like yours on ebay and bought it over the weekend for about $150. It is a flying V shape. Do you know if it is a neck-thru bass? I had to have it! How do you like yours?
    Traceman

17. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    SWEET!!!! You'll have to post pics when you get it. Isimy here on TB has one of the flying V shaped ones and other than mine it's the only other one I've ever seen. I love mine. It was my one and only bass for over 15 years. Yes they are neck thru Mahogany, Both Isimy's and mine have 2 P pickups (brand unknown) and passive electronics.

DAMN!!! Only $150?!?!?!?! If you ever consider selling it drop me a PM. I'd certanly be willing to give you at least that much for it.

Welcome to the super obscure bass club, (membership in this chapter is now at 3)