Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TAKE 2: DLS CHORUS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DEVILMAN, Mar 14, 2003.

1. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HELLo All,

Has anyone tried the DLS chorus pedals? How do they compare to EBS or Fulltone?

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I now use one exclusively. It is by far the most lush, transparent, versatile & totally noise free chorus pedal out there. I've had a bunch & this one supercedes all of them. Dave at DLS is also a total backer of his product & will help/discuss any questions or problems you may have. Quality & customer service matched by none! The end...

later,
    Satan

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Few more notes, it's true bypass, it keeps all the lows & it's stero.

later,
    EL DIABLO

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Have you used the Fulltone? Can you now answer your own initial question? :)

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Mr. Wilson,

Yes, in fact I have answered my own questions many times on this site due to everybody's conflicting righteousness!

I currently own these chorus pedals:

EBS Unichorus
    Fulltone Choral/Flanger
    Boss Dimension C/DC-2

I have tried/owned many others & the DLS works the best by far.

If I went on everyones recommendations for products on this site I'd be in the poor house with useless equipment. It all comes down to the individual & what he needs/likes for HIS setup/sound. Unending trial & error...

good day,
    Belial

6. Does the DLS work well with active pups/preamps?

Specifically, I have two Sadowsky basses with passive pups and the on-board Sadowsky preamp. I like to run the pre on about 99.9999999% of the time.

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Jim,

I run my chorus FX thru my FX loop. However,if you have a very hot output from your bass & run straight into it you MIGHT have a hair of noise but no where NEAR the noise you'll have with the others.

Go to musictoyz & give one a shot, see if it works with your equipment & you like the sound. It's the only way to truly find out...

later,
    Satan

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Of course, but I'm curious what you think are their respective strengths and weaknesses, given your requirements / preferences. And particularly what you prefer about the DLS over the Fulltone.

9. I've never really read a bad thing about either. Both have good reps. I demo'd the EBS and liked it. I have not tried the DLS or Fulltone.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Dave,

My Fulltone is a bit noisier than the DLS & its input is also very sensitive to active electronics. I've had mine modded due to the fact that I use 2 pre's (1 dirty-1clean) & have had additional internal trim pots for input & output levels. It works like a charm & does exactly what I want & expect it to do. The Fulltone isn't as clear as the DLS.

My band uses lower tunings(www.Evoken.com.)
    & our equipment is crucial to our sound, live or recorded. The other pedals work well also but this is the pedal I use exclusively. It also works better with my wah & distortion which all complement each other. Check one out...

later,
    Satan

11. Can the DLS get the flanging effect the EBS and Choralflange pedals are capable of obtaining or is it limited to strict chorus and faux Leslie sounds?

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Jim,

I just got back from hanging with JokerNY, we had a great time today at Epifani & demo'ed everything he had, even his new pre (not ready yet but it KILLS)

I don't think you're gonna get the flanging out of the DLS because it's not a flanger. Its chorus is phenomenal but the other company's have more versatility with sounds.

I'm selling both my choral/flange & unichorus if anyone is interested.

later,
    Satan

13. I e-mailed DLS and Dave responsed to my e-mails promptly and informatively. I expressed my concern about the on-boar pre in my Sadowksy basses overloading the circuit.

Get this! He called Sadowsky Guitars to ask about the preamp specs! Talk about service and caring.

I was jamming and realized (think I'd get it right off the bat) that I want more of a flanger than a chorus... for now. But I can see a DLS in my paws in the future.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Let us know what you end up with for a flanger. I have used a bunch of effects over the years, and I found it tough to get a good flange sound. Currently, I am actually using one of those little Danelectro pedals - the Milkshake, I think - for chorus, and it really isn't bad, especially for the price. What can I say, it was a birthday gift. Still, I'm probably in the market for a "real" chorus pedal. If I found one that also handled flanging well, then that'd be a bonus. If not, I'm probably looking at two pedals.

Later, Tom.