Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Take a look at this bass!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Nuno A., Sep 1, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    It's like a steinberger.... headless and the tuners are on the... tailpiece?!? Crazy!

3. T Sony

T Sony

Mar 5, 2004
    Canada
    Thats interesting -- personally I've grown accustomed to the tranditional double bass with the scroll. Mystifying to see such a entity.....

Would no scroll have any repercussion on tone?

Ken? Paul? and others?

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Thas' Butt-Ugly.

I don't see the point, I'd like to know why. Any Spanish Basso Profundonists out there to translate the webpage?

I guess it's a cheap fix for when ya bust off your scroll.

5. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    Descripción

Garantía: sin garantia, son instrumentos usados que requieren de cuidado especial por los cambios de clima y humedad entre un lugar y otro... pero estan en buen estado
    Dimensiones del artículo Ancho: 70 cm - Alto: 180 cm - Profundidad: 48 cm - Peso: 20 kg

excelente oportunidad!!!!, contrabajo acústico sin cabeza...

No guarantee, used instruments require special care with climate and humidity changes between one place and another...but it is in good condition.

excellent opportunity!!!!, acoustic contrabass without a head...

At last.... my lifelong quest is over.

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    And mine has just begun...........to find the crazy %^&##$ who created this frankenstein reject

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Sadly this isn't the first one of these mods I have seen :scowl:

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Well I guess if you broke the scroll of and had no other option... This may have been of necessity rather than anything else.

az

9. Ive seen several 5-strings with the additional tuner mounted on the tailpiece (a novel idea IMO), but never anything like that! What is the point?

10. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    I hate the way that thing looks. You have to have the scroll. An upright bass is like a classic car, you don't chop the fin's off a 59 Cadillac!

I hated the way those steinberger basses looked as well. They sounded damn good but the few times I played one it felt like I was playing a shovel with strings on it or something.

11. T. Sony, I'm surprised Bob Branstetter isn't jumping in on this one. Don't quote me, but I think he would say that the elimination of the scroll would have a deliterious effect on the resonance because it would upset the AO/BO balancing/matching. You need mass in the scroll, neck, and fingerboard properly calibrated to acheive this and lopping off the scroll would probably make it impossible if not very difficult to get a match. But don't quote me as an expert. Bob has written a very in depth research paper on this, some of which is a little over my head, but the gist of it is that you can't willy-nilly mess around with the mass of the neck/fingerboard without affecting the instrument's optimum resonance. And if you have the right laboratory, you can tweak the resonance by acheiving a match.

Other than that, it looks better on a Steinberg(er?).