Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Take a look at this control cavity drawing...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    and let me know what you think. The cavity will be about 1 1/2" deep, plus a smidge depending on how the pots fit. However, I was planning on making the battery area a step up, so it would be just over 3/4" deep. The reason for this is that area will run slightly under the bridge, and I want to leave plenty of wood for the bridge screws to dig into (I could shorten the screws, but would rather not). So, there will be room for the batteries to lay secured in their clips and there'll still be room left over to seat the cavity cover flush with the body back.

I did not draw in the routed lip area that the cover will rest on or the wood where the cover screws will dig in. The spots where the horizontal lines are intersected with vertical lines are where pots holes will be drilled. From left to right on the upper line: a/p switch, bridge vol., master tone; next line is neck vol. and stacked treb/bass, and the final line has the sweeping mid. The small square to the right is the room for the jack, though it may well seat further into the wood. I did not include the spot for the Aguilar pre, but I've measured a few spots, and have a few usable areas for it.

If you would, please give your thoughts on what will or will not work (in your mind). If I get the thumbs up from enough people here, I'll secure this to template material and start cutting templates. Thanks!

2. You don't have a scale attached to the drawing so I'm taking a guess as to the size of the area for the batteries but that will need to be deeper than 3/4" to accomodate them and their clips. If the depth of the screws for the bridge becomes an issue, covert to using a threaded insert to mount it instead. That will decrease the depth needed substantially.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thank you: two questions though...first, what kind of inserts (or, where could I get them...the normal online vendors like StewMac or Warmoth?). Second, other than the cavity depth for the batteries, is there anything else that anyone can see as a possible point of complication?

Edit: Though there's been quite a few views, there's only been the one reply. I'm hoping that means that no one else is seeing any other major faults with it? To my eyes, the design is a bit "unorthodox," but is do-able. I'd debated using a double battery box, and it's still a possibility, though I sortof like the idea of designing my own cavity. Again, if anyone comes up with other points on aspects of the design that may not work, by all means let me know. I'm cutting templates today, but won't start routing until tomorrow.

BTW: thanks for pointing out that I didn't include a scale frame of reference in the pic, Hambone. I'll make it a point to from now on!