1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take a look at this Gibson Ripper Gene Simmons is using!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Oct 3, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
  2. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    yeah it sounds quite fat ..i dig it. i still loathe how schlockey and arrogant G.S. is but i dig the bass

3. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008

Yeah, I don't care for his arrogance either, but I'd LOVE to have his job for just 1 day!!:D

4. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    He was almost doing a Jackie Mason impression there!

5. Wow! Gene almost looks like he knows how to play bass on that video!:D All kidding aside, that Ripper is cool and I dig the tone he is getting.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    He is playing a Gibson Ripper, Gene is a way better bassist than most give him credit for..................................all I know is I still have a day job.

7. I'm stunned that Gene, knowing there was a camera on him, and knowing that the videos shot from those cameras would be seen by a million fans - many of whom are bassists - did NOT take advantage of the opportunity to promote the Punisher bass by using it on the recordings?

What does that say about the Punisher? What does it say about the old Gibson Rippers? What does it say about Gene?

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I think it says what most of us know. What you use on stage , and what you use in the studio aren't necessarily the same thing. ;)

9. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I recall reading somewhere that he said the Punisher wasn't giving him the "vintage" vibe he wanted on the record.

10. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    HILARIOUS!

11. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    Haha, Jackie mason!!

12. Dude, what are you saying? That SX better be seeing studio time as well as stage time. ;)

13. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    just like Paul Stanley is using a Les Paul in some other clips and live he is using his sig guitars...

14. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    He should have never stopped using the Ripper in the first place.

15. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    +1

It' what gave them their classic sound i.e. Alive!.

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    As I've said many times.... The two basses that always go to the studio with me are my 64 Precision and my SX. ;)

17. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    He's using a Punisher in video #6, but I can see how EMGs might not give a 'vintage' tone.

18. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I think they're mmuch more suited for live applications, IME.

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Alive was most likely a Grabber not a Ripper.

20. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I guess you're right, but I read in one of their books once that the songs that came EXACTLY as they were recorded at their shows were the first 5: Deuce, Strutter, Got To Choose, Hotter Then Hell, Firehouse and this has been proven by bootlegs. Anyway, those songs being intact, were recorded in Wildwood New Jersey, and I've seen pictures of Gene during that show, and from that show on, he solely used his Ripper, not his Grabber. So those songs provide a good idea of his Ripper sound back then. He used a Grabber on songs like Parasite and 100,000 years. Geeky, I know:p

Here's an audio clip of him using his Ripper at their 1975 Wildwood, New Jersey show, the song which was put on the album as is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfB1b_LIL9Q