Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

take a look!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dhuffguitars, Dec 19, 2001.

1. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I don't know if this the right place to post this.

Hello there, my name is Darrin Huff. I have been lurking around this site for awihle monitoring to see what you guys like and don't like for my new business.

I am a lutherie opening up my own shop. I have been building for nearly ten years now, and have decided to try it out on my own.

It will be a month or so before I can take in any more orders, but have a look around the early stages of my site and let me know what you think.

Thank you very much
    Darrin Huff
    www.dhuffguitars.com
    dhuffguitars@mindspring.com

2. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    hey mate, glad to see some new blood in the industry! us consumers have a good time ahead!
    i personally like the z series bass best, seems more proportionate,and i think it will probably be the most successful, but thats only my humble opinion ;)

good luck with the business, u are a brave man!

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Looks like nice stuff, man. Keep us posted. I'm sure some of the cats around here will be queuing up for orders! Best of luck.

4. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Thank You!
    The Z series is the only model I am selling right now. I am doing custom basses also, but the others shown in the gallery are to show some of my other work.

Thank You
    Darrin Huff

5. i have a ? shaping the body what tools do you need

6. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Shaping as in carving the scroll?
    Or shaping as in cutting the body out,etc.

For carving I use hand chisels, but I do also have a duplicater to put into use some day.

For the body shape, etc. I use a band saw, belt sander, spindle sander, router, etc.

7. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    hey, id also like to say, that alot of people have a go at guys like you cos of the prices that u charge for this stuff......i really dont understand why tho. i can tell alot of work goes into these things,(my dads a furniture restorer/carpenter, and it takes him aaaaages to finnish even simple projects!) and i bet theyre worth every penny!
    anyway, just thought id say!

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Looks good Darrin, really. I might call you up one day. :)

9. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    whoa
    good work d00d, the Z series and the les claypool bass look really cool

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Extremely cool looking stuff there. Keep us posted as to when you are ready to start taking orders.

Good luck.:D

11. I REALLY like the looks of the Z bass. Especially that cool little curl to the horn.:D

Spokane? Hmm. Not TOO far away, I just might have to make a trip up there. I might be interested, in the near future, in acquiring such a bass.

Maybe we could talk Paul into letting D. Huff set up some ads here as TB? Maybe be TB's personal luthier?:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Your Z series bass is beautiful... very sexy curves!

I'm also very impressed with your CT Tributes, and I think the Master would be as well. Thanks for the heads up!

13. You should be ashamed of yourself! Don't you know some of us TBers are currently saving to buy instruments? Then of course you come and point us to a website of beautiful basses... Have you no shame?

Yes, I'm just joking around. :p

Your work looks absolutely amazing, I must say! Keep it up! You may be hearing from me in the future as well regarding a purchase.

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    The Z looks like Carl Thompson meets Ritter. (not a putdown!)

Best of luck!

15. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Thank you for all the input.

If anyone has negative comments I would also like to hear from you also. If you don't have anything nice to say, say it here. :)

16. I think the real test is going to come from how they sound. Visually the instruments are quite stunning!

17. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I am trying to figure out how to relay the sound of the basses over the net. I could go and have an mp3 setup, but I can't trust that the speakers on your computer will give you the real sound. I am looking to send one off to Bass Player mag for a review, but then that is also judgemental to the reviewers preference to sound. That is the major downfall of being a custom luthier, you can't run down to your local Guitar Center and play one (not yet at least :p ). So, until a few of you guys get your hands on one it will be on my word that they sound like a top notch bass, whatever that means.

Thank You
    Darrin Huff

18. Yeah, I definitely understand your predicament. I also have no solutions for you. I'm sure somebody will take the chance on getting one of your basses at which point they will speak for themselves, I'm sure!

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Wow! That is an incredible price for a beautiful custom built bass. I was looking at the one in GC the other day that was hand built by some guy that apprenticed under Carl Thompson and they wanted 3 grand for it. Granted, it was a beautiful bass. Almost a work of art. You know I'll put myself on a waiting list. Are you going to build any of the CT tribute basses for special order?

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Looks ok. But i dont care about looks as much as sound. If it sounds great, then it looks great. I can only name a few UGLY basses.