Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

take a picture

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I am going to be attempting my first bass, but I need some more info before i start: can somebody who is beginning to make a bass take pics of all the steps they take to make it (beside making the neck; im copping out end getting a warmoth) and post them here. That would be awesomely awesomely awesome :eyebrow:

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    In my humble opinion, part of 'building' a bass, or any instrument for that matter, is the learning and figuring that goes into it.
    There are plenty of posts on here, at the MIMF, at project guitar.com, that will show you pictures of the many steps that are involved.
    If you're just making a body, then it should be easy enough. Do you have a full-scale drawing made? Do you have the proper tools?
    There was a very recent post with this site:
    http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/
    go to the 'in progress and finished work' part and I'm sure you'll find some 'in progress' pictures.
    There's also lots of in progress shots on this forum.

3. i have a drawing of the design on a normal sized sheet of paper. I can scan that into my computer and enlarge it to life size, but I don't know where I would print such a large image. I have heard people talk of "CAD" or something. I dunno what that's all about. Help?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Take it in electronic format to a Kinko's and have them fire up a plotter. Kind of expensive, but it'll do the trick. Just be sure to measure it before you leave.

5. how much would that cost? I think out school has a cad machine, but how would I use it?

6. What do you mean by a CAD machine? CAD is Computer-Aided Design. So, perhaps they have the software at school. If this software is available to you, then so should tutorials, either within the software, or on the net, that can provide you with the info necessary to draw a bass body.

7. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    What I usually do is draw the design in coreldraw then print it out life size on 4 different sheets of paper from my printer then tape it all up together.

You end up with a lifesize paper template.

8. ahh, good idea :bassist:

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    SEARCH!!!

At least JP posted a full evolution of a bass some time ago. ALMOST as good as one of the books, you know ;)

And if you just stay around for a while, you will have the opportunity to collect pic's that will take you from logpile to fabulous bass. Patience, kiddo, patience is what makes life life, and wood to basses!

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I have pics of my bass being built here.

Follow the link about the LeCompte bass.

It may not have all the pics you need but I thought it was pretty cool.

:D

Joe.

11. what did you use to cut out the area for the pickups? to cut the body? did you use a jigsaw?

12. Hey dude, if you want you can send me a PM with your address on it and I'll burn a CD and send you all the pics of almost all the basses I've made. some construction steps were skipped, but otherwise most steps were covered.

13. sweet. How do I send you a pm? (uber noobish question sry) Can I just tell u in this forum?

14. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Click on Wilser's name and his page will come up, you'll know what to do from there. Click under "Send a private message".

15. IMO Bass man Luke should consider lurking a bit longer, show a bit more respect for other's hard work, do more of that hard work himself, and consider just how he might return the favor in kind.

It's Do It Yourself not Do It For Me.

:meh:

16. Agree'd. I've been lurking around this site for almost two years, and I didn't finish my first bass until a few weeks ago. Those two years were for reading and learning and researching. I've spent the last eight months just building a decent little shop, making templates and throwing out anything I did make make because I know I can do better the next time around. Someone on here said, "There as many different ways to build a bass as there are people who make them," or something like that. What works for someone else may not work for you. And I really wish I could remember who originally quothed that quote. Patience is key. If you can just read a tutorial on the net and then build a bass, you must be an alien or vampire or something.

Understand what you're making before you make it.

17. I have been searching for this thread for days and haven't found it. What is the poster full member name?

18. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I was going to build my first bass this winter, but I've learned so much from this Forum that I've pretty much decided to at least wait til winter. The least I can do is get a better understanding for how basses are made in general before attempting to make one myself. Sure, I could make a crude attempt, but...I really don't have enough money to afford gas, let alone three body blanks and nineteen necks...hehe. Thanks for all the help guys, and I, like everyone eles, would recommend for you (BassManolukas) to stick around a while longer. Spend less time asking and more time reading!

-Josh

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    JP Basses.
    Thread name: As promised, the birth of a bass at JPBasses

20. Nowhere to be found. I searched through all threads in this forum from the beginning. Not even parts of that title found a thread by JPbasses. Do you have a link?