1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take a Video Tour of One World Trade Center Observatory - New York City

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    catcauphonic and Stewie26 like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Very cool.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's cool. Despite the fact that it's only about 20 miles from my house, I'll know I'll never go there because of the crowds. It's probably a pretty cool experience.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I never did many NY tourist things, but I visited the wtc museum and did a guided tour when it opened up. It was worth the groupon deal we got :). Learned a few things about lower Manhattan that I never knew before. And forgot all the things I learned, too.

I really want to go to The Statue of Liberty, but like Gorn, can’t handle the crowds. There was no crowd when I went to the wtc thing. No idea why.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I remember hearing they were doing very limited viewings when it first opened. I'd like to see it but I need the tourists to stay in their hotels.

6. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Maybe we could organise a TB block booking...:)

7. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Nice video and really cool AV there. My biggest concern is I am sure that One World Trade Center is a high priority target again. Nothing would hurt our spirit more than to have a repeat of what happened before. Just sayin'.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Meh. The whole island is a target. Anyone who goes needs to acknowledge and deal with it. Pay attention to your surroundings and don't textwalk and you're good to go.

Although maybe if more people were afraid of it then I could go when it's empty.

9. Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    We visited Ellis Island and Liberty the summer before last.
    The worst part was definitely the queueing for security screening at Battery Park.
    What amazed me was so many of the damn tourists just didn't expect it. The amount of complaining going on ... no wonder the security folks weren't the happiest of people.

electracoyote likes this.
  10. I try to visit the 911 Memorial, Ellis Island, and Statue of Liberty every time I'm in NYC. I've been to each one at least six times. I find them fascinating.

The 911 Memorial and exhibits usually move me to tears. Incredibly well-done, sensitive, tasteful, educational memorial/museum. One of the best things to come from one of the worst tragedies, and a real testament to the strength and resilience of the city.

Not your typical tourist, I do try to assimilate when I go to different places. I never found the crowds that much of a deterrent. I don't think New Yorkers are rude, they are efficient and goal-oriented. I can relate. It's the only way in such a busy place.

Even after more than a dozen visits, I still ride the double decker around town all day. Sometimes I just sit there for a couple of complete loops and take it all in. Some of the guides are incredibly interesting and entertaining.

I did finally give up on the Empire State Building. That has turned into about a five-hour ordeal minimum. But I used to visit the top regularly.

I love NYC. It's a jewel to the world, and a huge source of national pride. I'll try to get on the 1 WTC tour next time I'm there.

Great vid, thanks for sharing.

GregC and Oddly like this.