Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses. Read It?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Folmeister, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just got through reading this very interesting book and I am simply fascinated by this modern mythology. The links between the Stones, Led Zep, and other musical entities and the anti-Christian mystical arts has me thinking. What is it that drives these very artistic and rational people to, as the book reinforces, embrace such fantastic notions? Is this reflective of some genuine search for understanding or just the ultimate opportunity for satisfying individual hedonistic urges within an envioronment that allows for such excess? How about the "curses" that have dogged some musical groups? Is this a real "curse" or simply synchonicity? What are others' thoughts?

2. moved to misc.

I seem to be doing this fake-modding alot no?

3. Fake mod remebereer queen :cool:

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

It's called dope son. And boredom mixed with wealth.

5. Don't forget the people that feel the need to "save" the youth from rock and roll.

6. Some would say that Christianity itself is a fantastic notion. Your question seems to suggest that Christianity is rational, while anything that is not is a "fantastic notion," or "mystical." This type of attitude, among many other things, is what drives many away from Christianity.

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Good point.

To some, it is Christians who have "some need to embrase fantastic notions."

Funny how anything non-Christian is "mystical"... :)

8. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I do not, in any way, advocate the Christian viewpoint as defining a rational approach to understanding the world. I use the term "anti-Christian" as a reference-point to the cultural reaction to the embracing of what are, in the book, termed "dark arts." To understand the books thesis is to realize that it is the Judeo-Christian cosmology that is at the heart of the "crossroads mythology." Did you read the book?

9. I can't say I have, but it does sound like some interesting reading. What's the name of the book?

10. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Take a Walk on the Dark Side: Rock and Roll Myths, Legends, and Curses.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what that means.

Did you read Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon?

12. Folmeister

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    No, I did not. Sorry

13. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003

Now that's funny. And probably pretty accurate.