1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Take away ability to hide one's profile page from tb members

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paul, Mar 5, 2016.

1. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Putting this here for my own reference.

jmattbassplaya and JLY like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You know my vote, hidden profiles are not conducive to making a healthy community.

If you do not want personal information in your profile you have to option not to put it there. I do not think anybody wants to force people to say what basses they own or want.

Will_White and irjason like this.
  3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree it should not be hidden

Will_White and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  4. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

I also think that changing your user name after bad feedback should be questioned in some way

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I completely agree with this and have from the start. I much preferred the old system where you had 0 handle changes unless you wanted to change to your name.

Mind you, I have never vocalized this because than scammers will realize they could just do this.

ddnidd1 likes this.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you see it happen, use the 'contact us' button at bottom. note that the feedback will follow them across username changes though

7. DiabolusInMusic

I am guessing there will be no changes to this. That is a shame.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There are many many things in the pipeline to do, just because something hasn't been done YET doesn't mean it will never be done. Also, sometimes what sounds like a really simple thing can require a software modification to carry out - either by the forum software developer or via a third party add on.

and again, username changes do not mean feedback goes away - it stays with the new username

9. DiabolusInMusic

I noticed I was able to browse a certain scammer's profile today. I was curious if this had been implemented or did the user just change their status?

Thanks in advance!

10. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There hasn't been nor will there likely be any changes. We're simply not able to revoke user's ability to hide their profile without hiring a developer to create a custom add-on, and it's just not in the budget as they say. Of course mods and admins can see all profiles, so if you do suspect a scammer just report that user or use the 'contact us' form as always and we'll investigate for you.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    This is probably a stupid question, but can someone please explain to me why some people choose to hide their profiles? What information is in there that you wouldn't want to be publicly accessible? And why would you put information in there, but then not let people see it?

12. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I'm just guessing here, but I believe it's mandatory to include your location in a "for sale" ad. If the system is pulling location from your profile then anyone wanting to sell would need to fill out the location field of their profile. However some don't want to publicize their location, with valid reasons. Remedy: make it private.

Just a guess...

Lobster11 likes this.
  13. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Interesting idea, and thanks for trying, but unfortunately I don't think that's it. I just did a little browsing over in the Classifieds, and noticed that the "Location" listed for each ad (along with "Price" and "Strings") often does not agree with the "Location" listing in the seller's profile. For example, the profile might say "Western N.Y.," but the add lists the location as "New York." So that information isn't being pulled from your profile when you place the ad. Plus, people often do not list their actual geographical location in their profiles anyway: e.g., "Talkbass > Off Topic," to choose a totally random example. :D

ChrisB2 likes this.
  14. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Well it was a guess after all, and, apparently not a very good one. Worth just about the price charged... :D

15. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    No, no -- it was a very good guess; it just happened to be wrong. Well worth twice what I paid for it!

ChrisB2 likes this.