Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Take Back MXR M-80 And Get Aphex Punch Factory?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've had the MXR M80 for a couple weeks now and I can't decide if I want to keep it. It's more versatile and not as colored as the Sansamp(which I sold a couple years ago) but i'm just not sure about.Then clean channel is good but it seems a little bland.The distortion channel is OK but it takes a lot of messing around with.I think my amp sounds better just plugging straight in. I'm thinking an Aphex Punch Factory might be more useful.I dont really need three stages of EQ(Stingray 4/5,MXR M80,GK1001RB) so if the Aphex can enhance my live rig and still give me a decent D.I. for recording i'm thinking it might be the ticket.Any opinions?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Punch Factory is another EQ stage actually. That's pretty much what tone altering pedals are.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I hear that is very transparent though.I know that it will alter my tone a little but i'm hoping it's in a good way.I hear that optical compressors can add a little tube character to your sound..........

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Ah, I see. I wouldn't know about the sound. Although a few folks here have Aphex stomps and will probably chime in.

I have an M80. It's useful as a post distortion EQ to me. I like meat grinding fuzz :)

Maybe you can A/B them in a local GC? There's two that are kinda close to you: San Ber and Rancho Cucamonga.

5. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah, the distortion on the M-80 just doesn't quite do it for me.I really want to like it but there is something missing.The rest of the features aren't enough to make me keep it.I know the Punch Factory is a completely different effect but I want the D.I. from it and i'm hoping i'll like what the compression does to my sound.Can anybody give me some input on the Punch Factory?

6. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Alright, about Punch Factory:

As you might see it's reeeaaaly simple! The more you twist the "drive" knop clockwise the more compression you get.

I'm playing a Fender jazz bass MIM deluxe w/ passives and ever since I got the aphex punch factory I wouldn't do a gig without it!

I don't know about other compressors, I guess theres better ones out there, but as I wrote earlier, this one is simple and thats pretty much what I like.

About the sound: Ye, well - it's a compressor, sharpens up your tone and makes it "constant" so you can't do the "play harder = more volume" and take my words for this: It really delievers a *punchy* sound, ya know that "oomph" sound.

Used this as D.I. Box before I picked up my sadowsky outboard preamp and I really digged the sound of it!

But anyway; try before buy! :)

7. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    i just got my punch factory about a month ago and since then i've never gone to a gig without it. i love what it's done to my sound.
    just like uly_ said, it REALLY delivers a punch. really tightens your sound but i think the dynamics are still there. you can still get sounds that are subtle and soft and also loud and punchy. it just really depends on how you set it with the drive knob.

never used the DI on it though. so i cant help you there.

and yeah, try it out first before getting it. what we like may be different from what you like. :)

edit: oh and by the way, if you already have 2 eq's without the mxr and dont exactly use the distortion on it, which some people here think is pretty good, then why still keep it? you could also get a dedicated distortion/od if you replace the mxr.

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Just got the Punch Factory today for $89 at GC.I don't why it was so cheap but I didn't complain. I'm using through my 8-track right now and it sounds great! Can't wait to try it through my rig.Any suggested settings?In the end the MXR's clean channel adding nothing to my sound and the distortion just wasn't very good.I'll get a separate distortion pedal later.

9. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    I've had the Aphex about a month and love it.

I run it with both knobs set to about 5 - this gives me enough compression to iron out my rogue B string (which is louder than the others when played up around the 12th fret) but still leaves me with some dynamics to play with.

What I'm still not sure about is where to put my EQ pedal - I'm finding at the moment I need to put it pre Aphex, becasue if I put it after and use any kind of bass boost, I negate the effect of the compressor evening out my rogue B string....

Maybe I should just get the B string sorted :eek:

Anyway - +1 vote for the Aphex - superb little pedal.

PaulF

10. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    well, there are only two knobs. hehe so you just fool around with it i guess. clockwise you get more comp, the other way, you get less. that's pretty much it, as uly_ said.

and dont forget the the buttons on the back for the kind of bass you use. you could over drive you amp with the wrong setting. it's real simple.

i use it just in the middle for both the level and drive. although occasionally i put the comp higher for more punch. with my 5'er though, i either keep it in the middle or slightly less cuz the B (which i tune it A) sound real squeezed.

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Ah ye, remember the active/passive switch on the back of the pedal PaulF, tried an active bass on the aphex and found the sound awful! Right until I noticed the active/passiv switch and it sounded just nice! ;)

As for settings, even though theres not really a lot you can fool around with:

Drive: 8
    Volume: 6

As you can see in signature, I'm having my fuzz/OD after the aphex and actually you can control the amount of distortion/od/fuzz with the volume on aphex. The more volume the more dist/od/fuzz you get.

As for EQ I'm not sure where I would place it in relation to the Aphex as I don't use an EQ pedal myself.

Just place your effects the way you think it's topnotch! :smug:

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Damn this thing sounds great with my rig. Very transparent compression .It definitely adds a bit of fatness without screwing up my tone and keeps the lows in check.I switched from 10's to 12's a while ago and while I love the extra lows from the 12's, I sometimes miss the quickness of 10's.This pedal definitely adds the punch that I was looking for.I'm going to velcro this thing onto my rack somwhere because it sounds too good to put on the floor(I wont be switching it on and off anyways).First "effect" that actually adds something to my rig that i've found in a long time.Now to find a dedicated distortion pedal :bassist:

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Now I've heard that compression can help you to cut through a mix a bit better. Is that so with your Punch Factory? Thanks!

Graeme :bassist:

14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yes, Definitely.............

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, but I think of it more as "hold your place in the mix". 'Cutting through' is more of a voicing/EQ, like tone-thing to me.

..They were selling'em for eighty-nine dollars?!

Joe

16. That's the bad things with that kind of pedals,there is always a less known brand bulding more expensive stuff that unfortunately sound better than yours!My piece of advice is kinda stupid, cause i also use lots of effects(for a bassist),but there is a time inyour bass life that you have to go back to bas(s)ics.Effects like comps and the sansamp and the M80 tend to make your bass sound different from what it really does and eventually you forget the true sound and colours of your bass.So let it go for a while,you might get surprised from the outcome :smug:

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you want a compressor with a little tube character, maybe see if you can find an ART Levelar on ebay. Its a great compressor with decent features.

18. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I haven't used any effects in my live rig for 10 years.The aphex doesn't seem to color the tone at all, that's what i like about it.It's like more of a good thing..........

19. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You-Guys remember only a couple years ago, when any post about compression had snobby "purists" chiming-in, slamming any idea of the use of compression? yeahh! Don't you remember the "those who use compression are only using it as a crutch to cover-up for their bad technique; I control dynamics with my hands (sniff-sniff...)"?

y'know - now that I think about it, same with the 'fingers-only' snobs, and the 'slap is for wankers' crowd... Maybe the Electric Bass world is maturing!

Y'think?

Joe

20. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hey guys, i dont mean to hijack this thread, but it seemed a good place to post this question...i play upright, and lately i've been playing an electric upright, but when i go to the high register it's gets kind of quite. i think it's a dead spot on the neck. my question is will a compressor help even out the volumes on the neck? thanks..