1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take good care of your hands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 7, 2009.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    No, because it's not my SSN. But still: good point. Somehow I can't edit it.

2. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Sorry you’re going through that. I’ve got cubital tunnel syndrome myself, and have to splint when I sleep when it flares up, not a fun or comfortable situation. Beyond that, frequent aches and pains and minor tendinitis flare ups. I’m a pro playing 2-3 gigs in an average week, and teaching 20+ students, so down time is not an option.

I credit yoga as the biggest factor allowing me to maintain my career. Im bored by most forms of exercise but the cute girl in spandex helps things along, I take 1 or 2 classes a week. Your hands and digits are the tip of the iceberg, full body strength and conditioning are key to supporting the hands and fingers.

Invest in a nice big flexible ice pack too, and use it when you can after playing, that’s a big part of my maintenance. Frequent breaks while practicing are also highly recommended.

Targeted pressure on painful tendons can also help things, there’s a YouTube series by Gary Crowley that has helped me work on it at home, worth checking out.

As far as playing goes, making big muscle groups do the heavy lifting is key to longevity. Fretting is very strenuous, and most pressure should be applied with your back muscle pulling your fingertips toward the frets, not your hand or forearm muscles. Of course you can use “textbook” technique and still have problems, I’m proof of that, the key is strength, rest, and rehab as needed. Good luck!

3. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Holy crap, not sure how I came across a 2009 thread, lol, well, it’s still good advice :)

JGbassman likes this.
  4. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    Lots of invaluable stuff here. Thanks everyone. I have degenerative joints /discs all over. Especially hands/shoulders. .mostly right hand. Thank goodness. If left hand was as bad as my right I'm afraid I couldn't play. Thanks for the encouragement. I've tried about everything else, why not try taking care of myself. Rock and roll can be tough on a body. But oh what a long strange trip it's been. . Wes.

5. Crome

Crome

May 12, 2018
    Kansas
    Make sure to keep those wrist straight! I know this is an old thread, but I used to be a competitive gamer and making sure to take care of your hands was one of the most important things in that community. It's so weird seeing people doing terrible things to their hands, as I've come from a background where hand care has always been so highly regarded. I wear wrist splints on both wrists every night to bed.

Dr. Levi Harrison and Dr. Caitlin McGee both have a lot of great tutorials for exercises or stretches to help your hands!

6. Roccobull1235

Roccobull1235

Thursday
    I have chronic shoulder dislocations from playing the drums in my band. I extended my arm too far out one time and it just popped right out. Ever since that incident about 2 years ago it has kept popping out and I have needed multiple surgeries on it, hopefully my most recent one is going to be my last and I can start jamming out again!