1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Take good care of your hands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 7, 2009.

1. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    52B1DA0B-B9F9-466E-85D9-C9884EB4D14C.
    I too have suffered! My Wrists and hands had gone down the same path. I gave up playing any instrument. Another talk bass member helped me with some suggestions on some “Vitamins” that could help. After ordering and taking the natural supplements for 3 months my ability to play more than 3 minutes had returned. Recently, I was able to play for 3hours! Way way less pain!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    RobTheRiot likes this.
  2. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    I'm not sure how they help, but I've always been one for a good cigar. Thanks for including them in your photo of therapeutic aids.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  3. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lol me either just sure of the results. At first I didn’t think it helped as my pain grew worse with in a month everything seem to melt away (pain) and I was able to play again!

4. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    I'm convinced that there are naturally occurring nutrients and natural pain relievers, that are being processed out of our commercially produced food, causing us all sorts of deficiencies.
    Why should we need to take supplements, if, in North America we're blessed with so much, and so many varieties of food?

5. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Minerals being one of those!

6. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    I would have to agree with you on that.
    The reason energy drinks didn't exist twenty years ago, was because back then, you could eat an orange, or banana! There's so much refined sugar, and refined filler products in our diets, for some reason, and very little of things we desperately need, like Vitamin C. A commercial diet, is so sorely lacking in basic nutrients, that we can feel tired, or hungry, when we are truly neither.
    I believe energy drinks should only be used in emergencies, like being lost, or being outside, all day.
    The ingredients in these drinks were intended for an occasional consumption. They are very high in refined sugars, and caffeine, and can actually contribute to dehydration! You should never run yourself that low to need one of these, and certainly not every day.
    I didn't eat once, and drank only Gatorade before a gig, and suffered some of the worse hand cramps ever, for almost all night!
    So, I guess what I'm saying, is there's no substitute for complete nutrition, and it may be a bit harder to find than it should be, but it has to become part of your routine, if like me, you intend to play live music, for as long as possible, in as little discomfort as possible.
    Other's like-minded stories such as these, are very helpful to me, and I hope someone can take something useful from mine. Thanks, everyone.

BlacksHole and EatS1stBassist like this.
  7. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    Thanks for letting me know about how worthless the shots were.

And, food does seem to be less nourishing than it used to be. Certainly not as tasty.

i like to keep gator aide around for electrolyte replenishment. it is a problem for me these days........

But, they did not tell me how long it would take for my hands to heal.

Oh well.........

8. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    I think it's generally accepted, that most injuries to healthy people, heal at a rate of +/- 85%. It's slightly higher for pro athletes, or anyone with enough cash to pay. I would have to say for me, this is about right. The worse thing you can do, is nothing. The second worse thing you can do, is make it worse, trying to make it better with overuse. I've done both, unfortunately. Stretch out your hands and fingers, and your arms and legs, casually over the day, to stay nimble as possible. I also walk a lot, ride a bike, and have been told more than twice, that I should be swimming, and or cross-country skiing, as they are best for all-body, low impact exercise.
    I believe over time, that you actually beat down your legs and knees if you walk only on pavement, something I can personally attest to, living mostly urban for over 35 years, walking everywhere.
    I personally am not a yoga person, but I only hear good things from musicians that are.
    I just heard now, today, that some food like spinach or strawberries, have residues of up to 15 different kinds of pesticides.That should make everyone furious. What are we suppose to feed the kids now?
    I have a gig at 9:30 tonight. We'll see how it goes. All the best. Good luck.

EatS1stBassist and Stumbo like this.
  9. Paula Warren

Paula Warren Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Michigan
    What helped me besides all of the above posts was hand reflexology and forearm stretching with massage. You would be really amazed how much tension your muscles hold which end up pulling on tendons.

10. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    I walk a lot! Some days it is only two miles, but other days it is over six miles. Used to swim when I was much younger......should start up again......when it gets warm.....make that "hot".

I cannot play bass now because of tendonitis in my fretting hand.......let your hand rest I was told. So I sneak in a little guitar playing every so often.........doesn't take nearly as much energy to fret those wimpy little strings.......and it keeps me from going insaner than I be.

11. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    If you stop playing completely, roughly how long until you can resume playing bass again, after a bout of tendonitis? The only time I've ever had it, was playing constantly for ten days, trying to learn 35 songs. I let it alone for about two weeks, and it came around. That was over five years ago.

12. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    I don't know how long this will last. It doesn't really hurt if I don't play. Maybe I should visit an occupational therapist for a second opinion......

Paula Warren likes this.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    120EF3FF-6B56-4AB6-A7DE-D1E25D20E6B1. 57559E95-FE1A-450E-B214-29277C0511C2.

Not me.

I just have normal carpenter hand issues. Carpal tunnel, numbness, overworked joints...

Careful with that gun, kid.

Stumbo and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. Paula Warren

Paula Warren Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2018
    Michigan
    Try a Physical Therapist.

15. leftyjohn

leftyjohn

Mar 20, 2018
    NW US
    I know an occupational therapist who does a lot of work with/on hands. She used to help my wife with her ailings.

Seems like there should be a hand job joke somewhere near......

EatS1stBassist and Paula Warren like this.
  16. Bunny Boils

Bunny Boils

Mar 5, 2019
    With the exception of the multis, and glucosamine, could you please give us a general run down of these supplements, not necessarily their brand names, but their common names, and possibly the main active ingredient(s) of each product, and what they may act upon? Thanks,

17. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I am not sure I could do that accurately. Lol. I would look these items up online. For me they work! I played last weekend for 2.5 hours with no pain. Ism not 100% pain free but I can play without pain. Good luck on your search.

Paula Warren likes this.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

In my younger life, I could easily jam, bang away, or simply recklessly play for hours at a stretch without consequence. As time wore on, so does one’s body.

Jeff Berlin put it best in a column I read about practice habits. What works for me: Eating the elephant in smaller bites:

Give yourself plenty of time to learn your material. Learn a little in shorter time slots. Revisit within a few hours and as you progress, it can enhance how quickly you retain the material. Closing in on 60, and having miles of wear & tear, this method has been beneficial in helping me to learn songs faster, with detail, and enjoy it so much more. Any type of music. Especially songs I really don’t care for. If you’re killing yourself as practice wears on, take a break. If you’re hurting, memory and ability suffer too.

Adults don’t usually have the jam time youngsters do. So, just set time slots to work out & recover. Don’t overdo it because you won’t remember the song, or arrangements which is the goal of practice, right?

If you can just sight read the music and are supplied with concise charts, that’s a whole ‘nother thread.

leftyjohn likes this.
  19. Yes. I had to give up guitar for quite some time due to cubital tunnel syndrome. It happened to me in my early thirties, after I went up a gauge in strings, and while I was practicing a lot of new material. Since then I now pay attention to the standard advice of taking frequent breaks and stretching. In addition, I use the lightest gauge strings I can get a away with. You need to take care of your hands. One day you will not be able to play anymore. You want to keep that day as far away as possible.

Paula Warren and EatS1stBassist like this.
  20. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Did not go through all 11 pages of this, so am not certain if this has been brought up here - I hope it has. I also realize this is an older thread - but this info is important to me and possibly you as well.

I had tendinitis (Lateral epicondylitis) in my right elbow - debilitating. I had almost zero grip strength without sever pain and no mobility: Post band activity so no band obligations...I'm an official geezer now I guess. For work, I learned to use a computer mouse in my left hand - worked at a PC all day. Like many, I did the whole therapy, rest, heat, therapy putty, thera band, cortisone, other medications for 3 years with little relief. My primary DR gave three paths: suffer and let time go by, $urgery (with a chance of limited loss of use / mobility) or look at experimental options (this was 9 years ago). 18 Of Your Questions About Cutting-Edge PRP Therapy, Answered
    My blood was drawn. Processed in a centrifuge and injections of the distilled platelets were placed into my tendon and elbow joint with a rather large and scary needle. I had three injections across four months (cost me $750 each as my insurance did not cover experimental procedures). Most painful and unpleasant thing I have ever experienced in my 55 years. They had (4) people hold me down while they did the injections (6 feet tall at 220 pounds...they could have used 3 people...just padding the bill). The needle was purposely wiggled about and scratched across the tendon and bone once inserted (DR said this was to cause a controlled injury - that the injected platelets would cause a reboot of the immune system at this new injury site: chronic injuries like this are because the immune system basically gives up on repair on this site ). The needle was in for about 3 minutes total each time. After the first injection - and the following day - my elbow hurt so bad I could not move it. I questioned my decision. After (3) days of rather intense pain, it began to improve. After a couple of weeks - it was like a miracle! I had regained a bit of grip strength and the pain was reduced significantly! I paid them to torture me like this two more times...each time just as painful as the last! But I suffered this pain willingly....within 6 months...I had and still have 99% recovery. Explore the options before anyone cuts you to cure you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    EatS1stBassist and Stumbo like this.