1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take good care of your hands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 7, 2009.

1. i load boxes into trucks. any advise on hand safety. sometime, with a really tight grip, i' grab a box with one hand to carry it. my fingers feel soar, sometimes hurt. maybe i'm just working them. my dad said to play the bass so they'll loosen up, but idk if that could make them worse.

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    At one point hockey skates had nearly destroyed my toenails. Turns out that a pedicure was vital to restoring and maintaining health.

Similarly, a manicure goes a long way to promote finger health, and that accompanying hand and forearm massage is very beneficial.

The only catch with bass is to ensure that they don't take an Emery board to your hard-earned callouses.

Why take meticulous care of your bass and neglect the same level of care for what we commonly acknowledge is the most important part of the instrument, your hands?

3. Try the product called Topricin it's a natural pain relief and healing cream I rub it on my thumb 5 times a day it really helps. Go on their website www.topricin.com.

4. Try the product called my pain away fibromyalgia cream. Sold at C V S.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Perfect timing. Recently developed trigger finger limited to my right index...symptoms meets the criteria to a "T".

Riis

6. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I have had trigger finger several times and even had to have surgery one time. The other 2 times, cortisone shots actually worked. I can't imagine any topical treatment working on a trigger since the trigger is caused by a "flaw" in the tendon - usually a swelling of some kind.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  7. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    I've got CTS in both wrists.

For the 8 weeks leading up to Easter last year my left wrist was in a splint almost 24/7 the right only at night. Practice was painful to say the least. During the service I was holding my left hand behind my back stretching it anytime I wasn't playing, and fighting to hold back tears. Didn't play at all for 6 weeks and now at least it is manageable. I only wear the splints at night. But I have also switched basses and made minor technique changes as well.

Surgery is in my future, but hopefully I can put it off for a long time.

8. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    I feel our pain brothers and sisters. I have arthritis at the base of each thumb and periarticular sclerosis in my right wrist. Topicals, anti-inflammatories, glucosamine, cortisone shots, tried them all. Still suffer but press on. Always worked with my hands and have played for more than 40 years. Yes take care of your hands...and kids study hard and get a desk job;)

9. JaredBT

JaredBT

Aug 7, 2012
    Talk about a pain in the rear. I've got really advanced carpal tunnel in my right plucking hand... it's about half as severe in my neck hand. Now it's to the point where the nerves that run down the side of my thumb, index and middle fingers light up when simple movement occurs. The worst is those same fingers falling asleep and going numb half way into any given song. So much for playing music as I totally see the writing on the wall. 29 years of computer graphics taking its toll.

10. mpf

mpf

Jul 3, 2010
    Florida Panhandle
    I have struggled with carpal tunnel for a while now, and have tried all the normal things -- splints, rest, massage, chiropractors, accupuncture, hot and cold soaks, supplements, compulsive stretching routines, and on and on. No surgery yet. Two weeks ago I tried cold laser therapy on my wrists and hands. It's way too early to know what the long term benefits will be, if any, but the strength in my fingers is definitely coming back, and it's getting easier and easier to play. I am more (cautiously) optimistic than I've been in quite a while.

11. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Great news man. I do not suffer from CTS but I know plenty that do. Keeping a good positive attitude is key for me along with acceptance. Not always easy. Keep on keeping on.

12. Zombiejello

Zombiejello

Aug 26, 2014
    Massachusetts
  13. wow that doesn't look so good. I have worked with tools and my hands all my life and raced moto-cross .Give Topricin a try its work great for me and it will help your hands heel quicker. Good luck with your recover. Tim

14. canteenboy

canteenboy

Jan 30, 2007
    I had trigger finger on the 1st finger on my picking hand in late '08. I stopped playing for 8 months. Lots of healing. Luckily, I've been taking better care if myself since.

15. I went to some of the local shops around where I live and put samples out for my fellow pickers to check out for them self's.IT REALLY WORKS .

16. I just injured my left hand. Fell on a boat dock near the Canada border and now have a fracture in my pinky. I'm wearing an ace bandage until I return to Nashville in two days. I already have an appointment for Monday (three days). So what am I looking at here, time wise? Yes there is some small pain but Asprin is taking care of that. I can move all my fingers with no pain. Just wondering how long the treatment plan goes normally? Next gig isn't for another 8 weeks.

17. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    By "fracture", I'm assuming the bones are all still in place? Very fortunate for you. Any chance you can tape your pinky to your ring finger? (Which hand is it?)

18. Hi, just got internet again. I was in far northern MI when I fell and drove back to Nashville. I went to a Dr in Traverse City who put my hand in a splint to elevate it while I drove. Went to a Sports Dr yesterday in Nashville. What she said: I have a fracture in the bone behind my pinky, left hand (I am right handed). It's not a bad one so I get to wear a plastic adjustable brace for two weeks, then go back for new X-rays. Keep it elevated and put ice on it several times each day. She said I can practice on either a bass or guitar but to sit and let my leg support it. I'm not going to do that just yet. All bones are in place but since I landed on my hand it's all bruised and sore. I'm 67 so I"m just taking it slow and easy. The brace is a 'Galveston Brace'.

19. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Louisville
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    Had the same problem. I was playing in several bands, and gigging regularly. Started doing a lot of slap in my practices. That's what really did it. It started in my neck on the right side. I didn't associate the neck pain with my practicing. Eventually got down to the base of my thumb. By the time I figured out what the dealio was my wrist was swollen and my hand was useless. I went to the doctor, got a splint and started icing it. Took a month off. Also got acupuncture and applied something called dragons blood. Now I stretch and warm up and take a lot of breaks. Also try and take a lighter approach in my finger style. I switched to active bass's and can get more punch with a less aggressive attack. For me the problem has not reoccurred.
    Good luck.

20. I had it on the left for awhile between thumb and index finger. I had to stop playing about 6 weeks. Of course i wasnt really playing too much then oddly. I try and warm up my hand and fingers by stretching befor i play now. god forbid that should come back. On another subject -i got a granuloma on my vocal chords from singing incorrectly and drinking whiskey and yelling like Motley Crue when drunk. Kids -dont do that stuff!
    :)