1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take good care of your hands!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Velofixer

Velofixer

Jan 6, 2016
    Yep--me too. If you work with your hands full time, hand lotion will keep your skin supple enough to avoid getting cut up all the time. I'm a bicycle mechanic and metalworker--hand lotion means no constant cracks which means no forced guitar layoffs!

Big Shrek likes this.
  2. -Liam-

-Liam-

Mar 16, 2016
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah, my right hand has huge problems with blood circulation. Even if the air conditioning is just too strong or something like that, my hand will get cold and stiff, which makes finger playing extremely difficult. I've had to wear cut-off gloves or revert to using a pick when that happens. Quite inconvenient.

3. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Banned

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    I had a lot of problems with tendonitis and arthritis - I switched to short scale basses for about a year - it helped a great deal. Now I seem to be doing better on the long scales again - had time to heal and I think the shorties also changed my technique somehow - I just don't stretch as much and I'm more careful about hitting notes very precisely, which is essential when playing shorties. I'm also convinced that a lot aches and pains come from sloppy technique.

Get yourself a Squier shorty and give it a try.

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. Velofixer

Velofixer

Jan 6, 2016
    Doesn't help with the left hand for playing an instrument, but when doing non-musical hand work has anyone tried the elastic half-gloves that are sold in craft and fabric stores? I get hand pains when I do specific repeated motions a lot--these are like a support garment for your hands. Shuts the pain down in a few hours.
    You could probably even fingerpick with one on your picking hand.

Big Shrek likes this.
  5. Bill Fatty

Bill Fatty

Feb 8, 2016
    Al Ain, UAE
    Well once while we were offloading into a gig, the truck door swung closed and hit me lightly in the back. I was irritable anyway, don't remember why, so I hauled off and belted the side of the truck. That'll teach you, I thought to myself grimly. However I had broken the pinky knuckle on my right hand. Long story short, didn't realise that fact right away, did the weekend gig (3 days at an Army base) having Army guys shaking my hand "Yeah ROCKNROLL MAAAAAN!" so by Monday it was all swole up. Went to a doctor and he said "you've been fighting"; yeah with a truck and I lost... So I had a cast on. Still had gigs though - so I cut a hole in the cast so I could get my index and middle fingers out and keep on playing. So... 2 problems with that: (1) I ground off a good deal of paint off the top edge of my poor bass with the cast, and (2) my knuckle healed up all crooked.

Moral of the story: Don't be a snugglemuffin. Although that applies in general I think.

6. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Well, last Tuesday reminded me to take care of the rest of your body as well:
    63hbs2d.

7. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I have pretty bad degenerative arthritis and one of my hard hit spots is my hands, plus I have CTS. I have used them and would recommend them. I even used them when I played a couple of times when I was having a lot of problems that day. The ones I got had a seam that would end up digging into my hands, so I just turned them inside out. Worked just as well. I ended up progressing to IMAK brand arthritis support gloves that I use a lot, but then again, my hands continue to degrade and the number of activities I can do with my hands is growing smaller. Bass playing will eventually be one of those things but not yet.

8. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side

9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I’m no doc, but I had a cortisone shot for a similar situation that might get you through the gig.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Yes, it could be permanent requiring surgery. It is a big deal.

Changing technique may help. Actually, if you don't change it will reoccur. It's not like a cold where you get better and move on. Your tendons are rubbing on bone causing inflammation.

How about playing with a pick?

Pics of your hand position would help.

My experience comes from using a keyboard too small for me about 18 years ago.. My right arm was killing me from having to turn in too much to hit the capital key. A Microsoft ergonomic keyboard fixed that.

11. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I've developed an issue with my right hand middle finger that seems to defy explanation, and I'm wondering if any of you TBers have had the same experience. On the palm side of the finger, the first joint is sore to the touch. Any amount of pressure, no matter how light, hurts. I haven't injured or strained it in any way, and it doesn't ache or hurt when not being touched. I do use the middle and the first finger to pluck the strings (not a pick user), but I haven't played regularly in quite awhile.

If it keeps up, I'll seek medical attention, but for now I'm not sure what to make of it.

12. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Could be gout.

Try cutting out fatty foods and processed carbs(flour) for a few days. Drink lots of water.

No downside.

13. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
  14. Hopefully he's gotten it fixed since 2009 ;)
    y5av0.

15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Ahh yeah....Yikes! I never looked at the date.....lol.. thanks man.

Stumbo and Big Shrek like this.
  16. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    It's all good info.

It's mind over matter, if you don't mind, dates don't matter.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  17. Damn! The future looks dim!

wesonbass likes this.
  18. I had De Quervain's a few years back . I wasn’t in a position to be able to take a break from playing . I tried to wear a small bandaged splint for my the base of my thumb and my wrist whilst playing and a more sturdy splint the rest of the time! Needless to say it just got worse. I ended up having a quarterzone injection in my wrist the first few seconds of which were memorably agonizing until the anesthetic mix in it kicked in. My tendinitis was gone within a week and I made sure to change my right hand technique so my wrist was at a more natural angle. Haven’t had issues since .

19. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Glad it worked out for you!

Yeah, I've had had a few of those quarterzone injections as well over the years. I take fullzone pain meds when necessary.

wesonbass and bassedsouth like this.
  20. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Did you really give us your name, birthdate, and Social Security Number? Yeah, I know, it was a year and a half ago but it still your PII.

- John

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018