1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TAKE IT BACK!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mr. Mig, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I was in a Sam Ash yesterday, just looking around. So, a guy and girl come in and she seemed stressed out. I turns out her husband, the guy, bought a new blonde Ric Bass and his wife had him return it. She even came with him to make sure he did I guess. He looked so hurt and humiliated. The sales guy told me that was the first time anyone ever returned a Ric. Couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

2. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    Maybe he had a MAJOR GAS attack and bought the Ric without thinking about Junior´s college fund...or mortgage payments

I want to think that, i can use a story like that, women are getting on my nerves lately...

3. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008

Or she's a bit@h.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    What a relationship! He feels he can drop $2K (+/-) without her prior knowledge, approval, consent, etc...

He deserves to feel hurt and humiliated, IMHO.

Adults who share their lives with each other don't do this type of thing. The key word being "adults".

5. Agreed...IF in fact he purchased it without her knowing or IF they had some financial burden...

Also we have to remember with everyone and their mother losing their jobs left and right 2k could make the mortgage for another month for most people...saving is the name of the game right now...and if you are married the woman needs to know if you are going to drop 2k on something...even if you've been saving up for a specific thing i.e. bass, pedals, rig etc...

I'm in the same situation now....I've been saving up $100 a month to get a new MIA P-bass however I'm also in the process of buying a house and the fact of the matter is that no matter what I'm saving up for, my family, roof over their heads, and walls that hold in the heat are my priorities first so If I have to dip into my G.A.S. savings fund then that's that...

Don't get me wrong it sucks to have to return such a great bass but family/house always comes first....

6. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    I didn´t want to think that, for my own sake. See...giving up on them it´s not an option (for me at least), but that is a BIG possibility, i´ve heard some things from them like: ...are you still into that music "stuff"?, what if you sell one of those basses and we get a nice vacation? what difference does it make? you already have 3 of them...:scowl:

7. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Women who don't understand playing instruments can be really nasty.

8. Pedulla?

Pedulla? Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    @ Mr. Mig

PEOPLE who don't understand playing instruments can be really nasty.

9. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Mine knows better. But, at the same time, I would never drop that kind of cash period much less without consent. But what is mine is mine, and she would never ask me to sell something I already own and love.

10. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    I stand corrected.

11. Low Tone

Low Tone

Feb 7, 2004
    St. Joseph, MO
    It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. :p

12. tippr34

tippr34

Jul 30, 2008
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I bet if you hang around the local jewelry store, you wouldn't see the same thing happening to the guy's wife and her 2k worth of diamonds. If I was him, I would take a good long time to consider what kind of future was ahead of me with a woman that didn't respect my choices. :bag:

13. +1 @ Beanstoot

Not if you have to return a Ric! lol

LOL. Someone will figure out the Space/Time Continuum before THAT happens... (yes, I'm cynical. I know this about myself and am okay with it! lol)

Man, I'm glad I'm currently single. lol

5sg.

14. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    +1

15. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    We don't know anything about this guy's story. He might not have even known how to play a bass guitar and had some sort of shock mid-life crisis that told him to run out and get one.

Or, the wife just didn't want it around. It's not fair to give either the benefit of the doubt.

16. maybe she wanted him to get her a jazz bass for her birthday.

and he bought a Ric. you guys should understand.

17. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Agreed. Back story to this is regardless. Don't planning on marrying one who isn't... Dealt with that with past girlfriends... Not worth it.

18. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Thank you Red Green?

19. makaky

makaky

Mar 26, 2004
    Montreal Canada
    Credit card no 8 loaded....

People need to figure out what they can afford :meh:

20. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1

In my family, if I want to buy gear, or anything else that is not for the entire family, I use money outside of our budgeted income. Our income pays the bills and puts some back. I do not buy what I cannot pay for up front. I save money that is made outside my job (i.e. bass gigs, sound gigs, I also do remote control programming) to pay for my gear. It never comes out of our monthly budget.

As said before, family always comes first.

If you cannot pay for it, you do not need it. That's how our country got into the situation we are in.