1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take main support slot? what would you guys do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tom once dead, Apr 2, 2009.

1. okay, so my new band has just gotten a gig with a band on a national tour. My band has gotten the main support slot :hyper::hyper::hyper: and we are all really looking forward to it.

We play mainly covers, becuase we are new, we hope to play two orig. at this gig. The other local band playing before us is a mostly orig. band with one or two covers.
    We get the crowd going A LOT more, and sould better (to be honest). But I'm feeling a little guilty...

What would you guys do, keep our Main Support slot?
    or hand it over to the other band?

2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    You got the gig, what is there to feel guilty about?

If you want to do it, do it. You already earned the right.

3. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    It's not your call - you got hired to play a slot. They guy that hired you decided when HE wanted you to go on. You're not responsible for the rest of the show is, so don't try and tell him how to do his job - just turn up and do yours.

4. I forgot to mention, the band that was originally doing our slot pulled out for somthing, and we were reccomended (by the band that pulled out).

But I guess we will just play our slot...
    Now I will stop complaining and be exited, new bands second gig, and its with a(nother) tourng band.

5. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Play the slot. Enjoy. There's nothing to discuss.

6. Play the slot you were given, or stay home.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Were you asked to do that? If not, keep your slot and have fun.

8. I'm really looking forward to this gig now, second gig (for this band) and its the main support with a band doing a national tour. We did a support for a bigger touring band last weekend, but we were second out of 6 bands.

9. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I want your booking agent. 2 gigs, both opening for major touring acts? Awesome.

Oh, and I hate you. :)

10. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    who's the touring band?

11. Band is wish for wings http://www.myspace.com/wishforwingsxxx

BUT I have some sad news, They added another band to the lineup... and we lost main support, to a band that everyone says is $hi+e :( at least it releaves a bit of presure, but still :(

our manager is MMK my last band got her on our second gig, and then for this band, its our drummers mum. But we accually got this gig through another band that played at our gig two weeks ago. oh and link http://www.myspace.com/mmkmusicpromotions