1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take Me To The River - Verse Question

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I'm stuck on the verse for some reason. I've had this tab for quite some time but when the verse starts, it sound like the first two bars are different for some reason and I just can't put my finger on it...maybe starting with the 2nd bar or different timing or maybe my ears deceive me?? This is what I have for the main verse.

A|-7--7-9-7-10-|-9 -7--7-9-7-10-7-9-|

Song Link

2. I've been "honing in" on this and I think the first two bars at the beginning are as follows:

A|-7--7--9-7-10-|-7-9-7-10-7-9-|

And then into the main riff of:

A|-7--7--9-7-10-|-9-7--7-9-7-10-7-9-|

At least that's what I'm hearing. The first two bars just sound different for some reason. When they come out of a chorus back into the verse, I hear the regular main riff again.

3. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    I play it- with the last two notes held longer...

-D------4---5--4-----4----5--4
    -A--77---7-------77----7-------

Sometimes the last G note is two eight notes rather than a single note as well. (maybe alternate that each time)

4. Thanks obi. I hear what you're saying about the last note held longer before going back into the riff. Does what I said make sense? The first time she plays through it, right after the drum intro, it sound like to bars of a slightly different riff and then into the main repetitive part?

5. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Yes- I think she varies up the note length and possibly throws in an extra note here and there- WHich is a good idea since this is such a long and repitetive line... if my band wanted to do this, I'd probably add quite a bit more variety to this line, don't feel too locked in that you have to do "exactly" this line for the whole tune. Tina is actually a really underrated bassist- she has some cool moments on every album.

6. Thanks....I'm just playing along to the original recording so if I vary too much it sounds odd, which is why I was asking about the first two bars sounding different than the main 2-bar riff. It's a great bass line and very catchy...definitely agree with adding some variety, even by holding some notes longer and the little "lead in notes" here and there...thanks again...