1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Take my wife, please!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Apr 20, 2006.

1. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    So my wife, of 12 years, and I are watching VH1 Classic yesterday. They happened to have a special on Rush. Since she bought me GL Jazz for my birthday a few years back, I point out during one of the videos that he's playing his Ric, and not the Jazz. She goes hmmm.....Then asks " He's playing bass right?" I said yeah....Then says this....."But he's singing lead. Only guitar players sing lead. Bass players sing harmony" :confused: :mad:

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't know how to sing harmony.

Then again, I'm not a good singer....that is something saved for showers, while playing bass works in the band/orchestra situation :D

3. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I hvae to say I fall in to this stereotype. No one wants to hear me sing lead.

4. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Sting??

Paul McCartney??

5. Divorce the wife.;)
    Wait a minute, she bought you a GL Jazz for your birthday. Divorce the wife and give her my phone-number.:bassist:

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    She's just trying to get your goat. Buy her some flowers and take her to dinner!

7. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Wow dude - do you know how lucky you are????
    a) your wife is watching a RUSH video with you - feel honored
    b) she is taking an interest in your stuff [don;t lose sight of this - we are talking playing bass
    c) she is askingn questions - meaninig she is not sitting there knitting paying false respects to you
    d) she is involved in a discussion with you about the bass and singing - OMG you are so lucky

Thinnk of it as your 6 year son asking the questions and how would you answer them - you would teach him I imagine - dude nurture this and I swear you will reap benefits - like a new bass, amp etc. she will understand the importance.

My wife, who only listens to singer songwriter who did not know what a bass was can now tell the difference [by name] of Jaco vs. Eberhard Weber vs. Michael Manring vs. Victor Wooten - in 10 short years!!!!!!!!!!

8. Are you saying you never shower with your bass!?:p

9. NO!
    Tell her to buy you 3 more basses.
    :bassist:

10. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan

the true interpretation of what she means is more along the lines of...

"if you want another rick... you'd better learn to sing"

11. Tappingtrace is SO right.I was in a 16 year marriage that was HORRIBLE.She didn't give a flying crap about my(limited )musical gift .Consider yourself extremly blessed and nurture ,nurture ,nurture.My present girlfriend has been paying attention.She has begun to play ukelele!Its so much fun laying around the house "noodling "on tunes together!The role of "teacher" and basic songs like "this little light of mine"give me a refreshing perspective on the whole music picture too.

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Take your wife eh... post a pic and I'm ready to start negotiations.
    :bag:

13. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX

Very good point. It's great to have a wife who takes an interest in what you do/like.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005

she bought you a g&l jazz AND a goat?!?!?!? cooooool. i cant even get my wife to buy me dinner........oh wait, i'm not married. well that explains that.

15. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    john entwistle and jack bruce sang lead also. rick price and kyle henderson did to.

john entwistle:the who
    jack bruce: cream
    RICK PRICE: georgia satellites
    kyle henderson: the producers

16. And you guys are Rush fans?

It is a little know fact that Geddy is acualy singing harmony.
    The problem is that both Alex and Neil sing their parts very softly.

If you turn the volume up high enough you will find that they have this Beach Boys thing going on.

17. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Now THIS is funny!

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I would have told her that it was okay for him to sing lead because he was playing lead bass, just to see if that made her head spin.

You know, she probably got that bit about bass players not singing lead from one of the many lead singers or guitarists she dated before you got married…
    :bag:

j/k - sounds like you've got a good wife. There's plenty of guys who's wives have NO interest in their music. You should feel lucky.

19. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    she's stupid, cause i can't even sing harmony

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

+2. Does she have a sister? My wife doesn't even ask how a rehearsal or a gig went. She comes to maybe one gig a year, but that's because we play an outdoor gig on New Year's Eve (gotta love Florida) and they shoot off fire works every year. The kids make her take them.