Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jun 12, 2001.

1. They Came to Conquer Uranus 7''

0 vote(s)
  2. I Won't Be Home for Christmas demo

0 vote(s)
  3. Buddha

1 vote(s)
  4. Cheshire Cat

4 vote(s)
  5. Dude Ranch

9 vote(s)
  6. Enema Of the State

3 vote(s)
  7. The Mark, Tom, and Travis Show: The Enema Strikes Back

0 vote(s)
  8. Take Off Your Pants and Jacket

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Take Off You Pants and Jacket, the new Blink 182 cd, comes out today! I can't wait til I can go get it. I might be able to get it today if I'm lucky. I hope this cd is alot better than than Enema of the State, cause that cd was sorta of a disappointment, but I still like it. The first single "The Rock Show" is pretty cool, at least I think so. After I get this new one I'll own all Blink 182 cds, and then I'm gonna start collecting demos (They Came to Conquer Uranus 7'', I won't be home for Christmas, etc.)

And while we're at it, lets make a poll: Whats your favorite Blink 182 album? Mine is Dude Ranch.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, this must be true fandom! ;)
  3. OK, I took off my pants and had no jacket to begin with. My co workers are giving me very funny looks. Now what? :)
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Please don't take this personally, because I don't mean this as an attack on Blink 182, but I always find album titles like "Enema of the State," so contrived. It just seems like one of those silly things done for shock value. I'm not really into doing things just for the sake of shocking, it seems like it takes so very little intellectually. I don't really want to make too much of this, but my personal opinion has always been that music is a work of art at its best, and if the artist feels the need to name it, the name should speak of the work. Somehow, I doubt that's the case here. It seems more contrived, done for the sake of doing it. Opinions?
  5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

Well, it is punk rock .. even though they sold out. Punk bands are always doing crazy stuff.
  6. How did they "sell out", exactly? Because people started buying their records? Did Green Day "sell out"? Of course not. "Dookie" sounded exactly like their first few records (even included "Welcome To Paradise", from the "Kerplunk" CD), but mainstream radio decided to play it. That's the only difference. They were the same band they always had been.
    We've had this debate before, but the whole argument about bands "selling out" is ridiculous. If "selling out" means all of a sudden, millions of people buy your albums, even though you're not doing anything different, then I think all of us would like to "sell out."
  7. I think you have to consider the genre. If Christian McBride's next album was called "With Friends Like These, Who Needs Enemas?", I'd start to worry. But this is Blink 182 we're talking about. They take their music seriously, I'm sure, but part of their thing is acting immature.. toilet humor, etc. Thus, the album titles.
  8. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    actually theve really sold out. last i heard they got payed to wear hurley and dickies and some other stuff.
  9. Well, that's different. I was talking about the music.
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I love discussions on selling out. They amuse me.
  11. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Uhm. No. Blink 182 is not a punk band.
    Punk rock is pretty much dead anyway, it was a phenomenon that died out quite fast.

12. i definatly dont think blinks a sell out. id still consider them as the same band as when they released buddah and chesire cat. and they always need to get a rise outta the audience, so they use humor, thats why im a big blink fan. enema wasnt as great as dude ranch but they totaly redeemed themselves w/ take of ur pants and jack it. a great cd.
  13. First off, Punk will NEVER die!

Heh, as soon as I saw the topic I knew it was by jr.

Now, back to the question... I love Dude Ranch, that album just kicks major ass. I like Enema also, haven't heard too much of the new one. How about a review?
  14. in my oppinion its great. its a little "louder" then previous albums and some bass solos here and there. i heard some of it from a friend of mine who got it in advance and loved it so much i skipped school so i could be the first one in the music store on tuesday.
  15. Err, I cant get the cd til this coming weekend! Man, I can't wait that long!

I've always considered Blink to a punk-pop band. I mean to me it doesn't matter what genre it is, as long as it sounds good. It's punk enough for me anyways (and yes i do like other punk bands).

I know they have a pretty big shock value to some, and Mark Hoppus even says that that is actually starting to hurt them, because they are never taken seriously as musicians to many.

And yes, Tom IS a sponsor of Hurley clothes, and if im not mistaken, other bands (including Pennywise) are sponsored by them too. Mark used to sponosred by them, but lately I've only seen him wearing Atticus clothing. And of course Travis sponsors himself with his company Famous Stars and Straps.
  16. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i should mention this since i brought up the thing about them being payed to wear stuff.

i dont think its bad that they do that cause i mean i probably would to, i mean free stuff and money.
  17. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    "A sell out is someone who's gotten something in return for changing. We've never changed anything about our band, our style of music, our clothes, so calling us sell-outs is retarded."
    That's what Travis from Blink 182 has to say about selling out. :rolleyes:
  18. I heard Hoppus was dropped from Hurley because his street rep is non existent so atticus picked him up.

I wouldnt call them sellouts they are not the same band that recorded dude ranch they were more punk back then, but when Travis came in they became more polished, hit the mainstream and wrote slightly more complex tunes, so I guess it is travis' fault, Scott was awesome and had nuts speed, but Travis is good.

A review of this album, its faster, and better than enema, neck and neck with d ranch, worth the purchase.
  19. Oh, wait a minute...

Isn't the whole idea of punk rock to do something completely out of the mainstream?
    Blink 182 IS punk rock...all those ****ty bands like SR-71 and stuff aren't quite punk, just copying Blink 182

that's a different take on it...

Oh yah, There's no punk like The Who, Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Stooges.
  20. ok well first thing to learn is that if u put a post on here about Blink 182 expect a verbal bashing. I do like the band myself i like there simplicity and marks simple bass lines. They have been the same ever since they started writing songs back in toms garage and the only diff is is there clothing, hair and they no longer do gigs in front of schools. they are a band they make music also total fools of themselfs. you are entitled to your opinion of the band and i respect that.

as for the collector you still gota list flyswatter all those other demos are piss compare to this album.

god luck in your findings it has been done (eg me) and you will do it if you set your heart to it. also write a letter to the band you have there contact address its on the last page of every inside cover of the albums. write to them and ask them if there willing to give out any demos or if they know where you can get them. rick the manager is real helpful like that but be prepared to hand sum cash ova.

hope it helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.