Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Take Ten" by Paul Desmond?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of course everybody has heard Take Five written by Desmond for Brubeck's classic album, but I bought a compilation of CTI stuff the other day and it has a track called " Take Ten" by Paul Desmond!

So has anybody heard this - I am struggling to tell if it is in 10/4, to fit in with its predecessor being in 5/4 - obviously similar, but with a different vamp?

2. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    I have the original album (from 1963) titled 'Take Ten" which also has some other great tracks on it including "Black Orpheus". Musicians are Jim Hall on guitar, Connie Kay on Drums, Gene Cherico on bass (except on 'Take Ten' it's Gene Wright). Paul Desmond says in the liner notes:

"About the tunes: 'Take Ten' is another excursion into 5/4 or 10/8, which ever you prefer. Since writing 'Take Five' a few years back, a number of other possibilties in the 5 & 10 bag have come to mind from time to time. 'Take Ten' is one of them."

He goes on to critize "...how the bosa nova became such a hula-hoop promotion. The original feeling was was really a wild, subtle, delicate thing but it got lost there for a while in the avalanche..." He includes four tunes that "... are in rhythm which by now I suppose should be called bossa antigua." Great stuff when musician actually say something about their music. Of course, this is only a few lines from several paragraphs.
    \Dennis

3. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks Dennis - I thought it sounded very similar in feel to Take 5 and couldn't really hear any difference - this explains it!

So now can anybody hear any difference between 5/4 and 10/8 - are they just the same thing or is it just a question of a 1 or 2 bar feel?

Quite nice tune anyway!

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    sounds to me like the difference between 3/4 and 6/8 :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well, not really - I can definitely hear a difference betwen 3/4 and 6/8 and they are very different feels. 6/8 is usually a fast dance rhythm - like Afro Cuban with a 2-bar percussion thing happening.

Whereas 3/4 is like a waltz or slow lilting feel - I would play these very differently as a bass player. But I'm not sure I would play 5/4 differently from 10/8 and what I hear from Take 5 and Take 10 - neither would the respective bass players involved ! ;)

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yea...I've always related 6/8(for countint purposes) as similar to 2/4 because it can be broken down into two packets of 3 beat measures. so then that makes it feel waltzy :)
    1(23)4(56),1(23)4(56)...etc.
    but I see what your saying there is definatly a difference between 3/4 and 6/8...whenever I play take five, It feels like its in 4/4 sometimes :( ...but I think thats my drummer messing up(he's new to the band, and to drumming....yet he has a 10,000 dollar DW kit :mad: )
    at any rate, the craziest time sig I've ever messed around in was
    11/16
    the beat was so strange its hard to describe...I did it using my MPC2k which can do click tracks in various tiem signatures....shear insanity