Take The Hunger Challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 22, 2011.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    United Way of King County - Take the Hunger Challenge.

Quick summary: Can you feed yourself for only $7 a day for five days? This is the maximum food stamp benefit (known as the Basic Food Program in Washington) for an individual.

I'm not even going to try. I might make it to lunch. My coffee would ruin me.

-Mike

2. Is that with the exception of what you have in the fridge or does that count? I might be able to... 2 loafs of potato bread, one big pack of roast beef, a jar of mayo, a big box of water bottles, and 15 bananas should add up to less than $7 a day.

3. Can I?

Sure I can, in fact, that's what I've been doing for about the last 3 years.

$7 a day, say 30 days a month. Feeding myself for $210 (~£130) a month?

Yup, I have a budget of £100 a month for food shopping. And that's good eats (and not eating out too often).

4. That's $280 a month, so yes, I'm quite certain I could. I'm pretty sure my college food budget was less than that, even adjusted for inflation.

EDIT: major arithmetic fail
    $7 x 30 = $210
    But i still think I could do it.

5. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Provided that I still can drink free coffee at work I could.

6. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hunger Challenge rules:

Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner spending only $7 per day.
    Salt and pepper don't count but all other seasonings, cooking oils, condiments, snacks, drinks, and everything else do.
    Don't use food you already own.
    Don't accept food from family, friends, coworkers and others. Not even the free samples from Costco!

I'd have to give up coffee to have any chance of making it. I think I should try it though.

-Mike

7. According to the rules, you can't :D.

Ah, I figured as much. I think I could make it if I buy everything from Costco or Sam's Club. Might try it this coming week.

8. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Could do it, have done it, and for less than that, but you have to know where and what to look for and use your imagination, be creative a bit. I wouldn't suffer through it and my eating would be healthier tbh.

9. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    We should set a start date, and then get a group of us to do it and document our shopping expenses and recipes.

-Mike

10. I'd be down! My methods would be far from creative but I'd be happy :)

11. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    I'd be up for that but the Tesco stores here sell the -verge of sell-by-date stuff, fruit/veg/fish/meat etc on the day very reduced. Bit of an advantage, it's very doable.

But I'll be up for it, a blast from the past :)

12. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Should we start Sunday, the 27th? Is that enough time for everyone who wants to play along to go shopping and prepare some recipe ideas?

-Mike

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Does catching your own fish count? Grazing? Personal garden?

14. Sounds good to me. You can guess my only recipe from my first post :D.

15. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    So they want us to feel bad for people on food stamps? Why. I have a job and pay for my own food, and the people in my states food stamps. I guess they want us to feel bad for them? Sorry I would not do this "challenge" if they actually gave me food stamps. 2/3 of people on welfare in the US have a car, cell phone and tv set. (sociology class stats) the poor people are only relatively poor, they are only "poor" compared to rich ass Americans. I did two years in iraq and one day had a guy in the city ask me "how our poor people in America are fat". That sums it up. Our poor are fat and theirs starve to death. I will be having a steak tonight. Sorry for the rant. Enjoy the challenge.

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    I couldn't do it. I like food way too much :p

Although I probably could get by with dollar menu from Taco Bell and Wendy's...

17. REM did $2 a day on tour

18. [​IMG]

*coughcoughcough*

:p

19. Possibly a daft question, but who would be for slightly modifying it to $35 for 5 days, instead of $7 a day?

(I buy a loaf of bread for the entire week (sandwich at lunch), toast etc, seems a bit silly to have to count it as buying a new loaf each day as, technically, you would going by their rules).

20. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I spend about $25 a week on food.

So, yes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021