Take the whole kit and caboodle.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I used that phrase in a sentence today and then turned to the person to whom I said it, then said. What the hell is a caboodle? It made me wonder where do these sayings come from? We know exactly what it means, but what is the origin of "kit and caboodle" So I did some google'n.

This is what I found:

*OED2 = Oxford English Dictionary, volume 2

What phrases do you guys use on a daily basis and have no idea where it comes from. There are tons of them, Let the cat out of the bag??? Dressed to the nines??? I even found out that "balls to the wall" has nothing to do with the male anatomy!

Guess what, even the word "google" has an origin. I'll give you a hint. If you use spell checker on the word google, the word it was taken from appears. And no, it's not goggle.

What are yours.
  2. Neat thread!

I'm one of those that's full of goofy, old time sayings like...

"...the whole nine yards"
    "...to hairlip St. Peter"
    "...raining cats and dogs"
    "...stuffed to the gills"
    "...talking a blue streak" - I actually know how this came about.
  3. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    i always wondered what that meant too. thanks!
  4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    And Bob's your uncle.
  5. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
  6. Google comes from a mispelled word - Guigol

I remember Billy Connolly doing a very funny routine about how we say "more than you can shake a stick at"

Who shakes sticks at things when there are too many???:D
  7. The "whole 9 yards" dates to WWII, the ammo for the wing guns in our fighters was stored in belts and the full load for one specific one (I can't recall which at the moment) was 27 feet long. The pilots could opt for less than a full load for weight control, or take "the whole 9 yards" to be ready to fight. There is also a variant about using the whole belt on one target ("gave it the whole 9 yards"). There are some who claim it has to do with getting a suit (think business attire), but there isn't any supporting evidence to that other than anecdotal and the amount of material required for making a suit has varied with styles and sizes too much to make that a plausible explanation.

The "raining cats and dogs" goes back to thatched roofs. The critters would bed in the roof (construction of the day made the roof more accessible than today's standards), when it rained hard the cats and dogs either slipped out or jumped out.

The "stuffed to the gills" seems to indicate a fish with a large appetite, but I don't know for sure on that one. The "blue streak" had vulgar conotations when I was growing up, but it seems to be used to mean talking long and fast now. You said you know that one, so share your understanding with the rest of us.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've always wondered about........."I'll be a monkeys uncle", "beat like a red headed step child", and "southpaw".

9. Southpaw

(from Wikipedia)

The generally accepted origins of the term is from baseball. Ballparks are often designed so that the batter is facing east to avoid the afternoon or evening sun shining in his eyes. This means that left-handed pitchers are throwing from the south side. The first usage is credited to Finley Peter Dunne. However, the Oxford English Dictionary lists a non-baseball citation for "south paw", meaning a punch with the left hand, as early as 1848[1], just three years after the first organized baseball game
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Smart guy that Peter. He took the easy one. :p

11. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "It ain't over til' the fat lady sings!"
  12. As I read it explained - "Talking a blue streak" does mean talking fast. It goes back to early car racing days when all the tracks were dirt. The best dirt tracks were actually red clay because the clay can get very sticky when rubber from the tires is rubbed off. Funny thing though is that tire rubber will turn red clay blue when it comes in contact in a wet environment. Look at a chunk of dirt coming off a truck tire after it's dried hard. The contact area will have a blue tint with a darker blue around the edges. Well, this characteristic would appear during the racing on the track where the "groove" was - the fastest way around the track. It would show up as a "blue streak" guiding the driver to the area where all of the rubber had built up making the track stickier in that line.
  13. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    My grandmother always used the "... in two shakes of a lamb's tail" instead of 'quickly.'
  14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Bob's your uncle, fanny's you aunt and your in like flin!
  15. Monkeys uncle:
    That one is actually kind of funny in a "dah" kind of way.

Red headed step child. :D I've used that a few time.
    The only thing I found on this one was there is no solid origin other than is was in the movie "The Wraith" with Charlie Sheen some time in the eighties.

It was only assumed that step children were beaten more often because they were less significant than a child with the same parents. It was also suggested that red heads had more of a temper and got into trouble more often. Some also suggested that the red hair was a sign that it was not fathers child. i.e. The mail man had red hair. :D
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've heard:

"we haven't had this much fun since the pig ate the baby!"

explain that one. Best I can guess is a release from fiduciary responsibility.
  17. I think that one has to do with Yogi Berra......
  18. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Read Bill Bryson's book 'Mother Tongue'. This details the origin of words and phrases like (and including) those you asked. And they're funny and enjoyable to read. Then read everything else by him. It'll be worth it.
  19. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Actually it was Dan Cook. Everytime I see that old man (looks like Yoda), he's with the hottest chick... :D
  20. Okay, now you're just making shi1t up! :smug: :D
    Reminds me of a Dave Chappelle skit when he was making up slang words to confuse his white friends.

Seriously, never heard of this baby eating pig and couldn't find anything either.