1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Take this bass- please!: How to?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aircooled, May 3, 2010.

1. I have an ancient (though not too ancient) bass on my hands that I'm thinking/wanting to give away. It's a Karera HB-32 if that makes any difference, and apparently to Google it does not. Didn't find anything about it.

As you can see, it's low budget, the frets are ick, but the neck is straight and the bass is playable. I would feel odd selling it, and have no inkling about how I'd price it anyway. Rather, I'd prefer to feed the karma machine.

What I'm thinking about doing is posting a "it's free!" message in the musician's section of my local Craigslist, with the caveat that I want it to go to a student/literally starving musician, and not someone who is going to resell it at the swap meet next week. Although, how would one enforce that, anyway? Trust and Craigslist .. seems incongruent.

It's not that great of a bass where I'd bequeath it to a school, but I'm also disinclined to incinerate it. Anyone with suggestions what to do with it? (No, I won't do that. :eyebrow: )

And while I'm sure there are many needy on this site, not looking to ship it anywhere other than a local thang.

Pics for ... looking at.

karera_bass_3.
    karera_bass_2.

2. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    couldn't you donate it to a local school or something?

3. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    a lot of schools are in need of instruments, im sure they would be happy if you decided to donate it.

4. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    haha, chimed in at the same time.
    must be a +1

5. Honestly? I'd say string it up, put it away and save it as a beginner bass in case any potential future offspring show an interest in learning.

6. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I would give it to a local school.

I'd clean and polish the frets, fretboard and body, string it up and if it's active, put a fresh battery in it. Granted this is no Fodera or even no Ibanez, but it would be a good instrument for students to learn on.

7. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    Damn that you won't ship it... I would be happy to take it.

8. FIX IT UP

9. joshmickelson

joshmickelson

Nov 19, 2008
    Denver, CO
    great minds think alike!

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Touch up any wiring issues, clean it, string it, set it up, and go donate it to a school. Bypass giving it to the individual. Plus, school donations are tax write-offs. :)