Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Taken a turn in musicstyle, anyone else??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by russ_4ft, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Ok, a year ago i was in a band that were funk metal. A lot of slap, a lot of bluesy style scales.
    Nowadays i play in a punk rock band and i kinda wonder where my old style went. Back in those days i could say that my inspirations wrere flea, wooten, claypool etc,
    But nowaday it's changed to matt freeman, matt riddle, #2 etc.

Has anyone ever had this? Where your stlye changes due to the music u play, but in a very rapid way?

Personally i think that it has made me a better player because i think that i could easily switch back to my old style, and recently i've been tryin to incorporate a bit of my old style into it.

- Russ

2. You're not alone. For the past 20 years or so, I've been a Jazz freak. I haven't lost any of my love for Jazz, but, in the last year or so, the Blues, C&W and Bluegrass have taken a much bigger part of my listening and bass playing time. I think it's just a mild form of musical boredom. I think you're 100% right about it making you a better player; this more diverse the music you listen to and play, the better the player you're bound to become. I even recently bought a regular six sting guitar! :eek:

Don't tell anyone. ;)
    Mike J.

3. I used to be a metal freak. Loved all of the stuff from the 90 also like Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc. Now I rarely listen to that kind of stuff. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Now I really like this Acid Jazz stuff and Contemporary Christian music. I do have a problem in that I don't have a lot of CDs of this type of music so I'm not listening to as much as I should.

4. I went from the radio-type stuff (Korn, Staind) for a VERY short time, then to industrial, then punk, then kind of grungy stuff, while also messing around with blues and old school rock.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I cut my bass teeth on the old school funk (parlament, bootsy colins, brothers johnson etc..) then to rock, metal and so on. But I see the 70's style rock coming back pretty strongly.

Mike

6. Ciaran

Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    Ireland
    I was thinking the exact same thing just this morning.
    Less than a year ago I listened to nothing but RATM and other hard rock. And now (even though I still like RATM) I've gone completely laid back - listening to South African and World music non-stop.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's normal.

My inspiration to pick up the bass was hearing Jack Bruce with Cream while in high school. My first gig while at college was in a bluegrass band :confused:

How did I get there? Having a banjo player as a roommate had some impact on me :cool:

Over the years I've played bluegrass, punk rock, blues, C&W, swing, cajun, zydeco, folk , top 40, rockabilly, soul, reggae...

As I went from one band to another my playing did change but I also carried my experiences forward so my playing got deeper and deeper as I kept working in new styles.

8. It's well weird. I just thought about it the other day and i was like, why have i forgot about my old style?
    It's weird as well with the way i judge bass players,
    like a year ago i wouldve said that punk bass players are average and nothing special.
    But now i'm actually playing it and i'm like, this is hard to do.

I take a lot more notice to punk bass players now and it's made me realise that bass playing is very categorical.
    It is actually quite easy to be the best funk slap bass player in the world, but when it comes to punk bass, your not as good.

- Russ

9. I started out playing Beatles and Rolling Stones covers,and since have traversed the ridges of folk, country, blues, r n b, rockabilly, big band jazz, neo classic jazz, jump blues, irish, classic rock, and am currently engrossed with latin american.

10. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey russ,what band is matt riddle from?

11. I`ve actually been downloading some country mp3s of late.*Crossing myself* Saints preserve us!

Some really good basslines in many of those yeee-hawwww tunes,if I do say so myself! ;)

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    When I 1st started playing I listend to mostly rock. And it showed in my playing. Now I listen to a little bit of everything. And it all shows in my playing. Is what makes you versatile IMO.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    well i can kinda relate to you... i used to play numetal for 6 months... with my guitarist dead i just waited for any invitation (which came fast) and now im in a Progressive-Metal band... i changed from detuning bass to challenging Myung and Geddy Lee Riffs...

i feel like i made a step up (since in numetal i jut played root and things i added)...

i have waaaay more control on this new band and me and my drummer are locking in pretty well (which my previous drummer didnt). Im even writting my own stuff, they let me throw everything i want...

14. I've started seriously playing jazz in the past three months, where I had been playing rock and prog-metal previously. It's a refreshing change to not have to worry about playing as many notes, and a challenge to make them more interesting. When one is playing standard rock, the simplicity of the chord progressions makes fills just too easy--bounce around on whatever scale the tune's built around. With prog-metal stuff, the line is pretty much all fill anyway, especially if harmonizing/unison or playing contrapuntally to the guitars.

Now, I have to worry about my notes being functional and interesting. That's more stimulating to me.

15. Matt Riddle is from 'No use for a name' an he's amazing (in my oppinion)
    His style is so much like the way i've been playing an i didnt even follow him, i started listening to his lines about 3 months after i started playing an it's like my style is just like his. Maybe it's coz he plays with his fingers too, not many punk bassists about who play fingerstyle.

Out of interest, does anyone listen to no use, or any fat wreck bands?

- Russ