Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Has anyone here ever been ripped off from buying music equipment at Ebay, if so, what did you do about?

I ask this because it seems like people can do this and get away with it leaving the buyer left with very few options to recover their money back.

Gods Peace and Mercy to all:bassist:
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First, you need to check the sellers feedback. If its not 100% or darn close, run like the wind.
    0 feedback sellers are ok to buy from if they will allow an escrow (figure this cost in addition to your purchase price to be sure you are really getting a deal). If its possible, pay with a credit card, you have 30 day buyers protection when you buy with a CC. I have had 2 bad transactions on eBay and both were resolved eventually.

BTW you are never taken by eBay, just unscrupulous sellers.
  3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I read that Ebay basically says to stay clear of people with less than 90% positive feedback. But of course you have to use your judgement. If the guy has 10 negatives but he has 980 positives.. Also you should read the negatives. Sometimes its a buyer who just wants to be a pain in the @$$ and complain.

However, even if the person has 100% feedback, check to make sure that they've actually SOLD items. I just got screwed by a guy who had 13 feedbacks and he was 100% but they were all auctions where he was the buyer. He didn't have feedback for being a seller. The guy never got in contact with me. I left a message at his house after a week of not hearing from him after I paid via BidPay. I left a message and he wrote me saying the video I bought was on its way. Its been 3 weeks, I still don't have the video, he's no longer at his phone # and his feedback is now 85% and private. It was just a rare video that I paid $30 w/ shipping for so I'm not out that much. I was going to file a claim to get my money back. I managed to get him suspended, but Ebay charges a $25 fee to file a claim so you can get your $$ back. So I'd only get $5 back. Not worth it.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That'd be 99% positive.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio