1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Takeuchi TK 5 Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 5-string Dan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. 5-string Dan

5-string Dan

Feb 23, 2009
    Beacon, NY
    Hello,

I'm wondering if I can get a little input from a user of a Takeuchi bridge. I found one on Warmoth and it seems to be a slick design, also it's $45 cheaper than a Hipshot A. It has the quick release string change feature, and also the string through body feature. Solid brass as well. Any input or reviews will be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Bump for an older thread that never was.
    I also am interested in what folks around here think of this bridge.
    Just picked up a Squire Affinity Jazz V, and frankly HATE the bridge and want to upgrade ASAP. Any thoughts / observations on this?

Thanks.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Another bump.
    I'm planning a Warmoth build, and need to know whether the Hipshot A is worth the extra $$$ on a Gecko 6.

4. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I've built several Gecko basses with the Takeuchi bridges. They're solid bridges and work fine, but the string action is too high for my needs. I used a Dremel tool with a grinding disc to lower the notches in the bridge saddles to a comfortable level, and now the string action is just fine.

My only Hipshot bridge so far seems to have a lower default string action (i.e. can be adjusted lower) but I haven't measured this and compared with the Takeuchi.

5. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I see. I usually play with stupid low action, so if i have no experience with a Dremel, I probably want to go for the Hipshot, eh?

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Why not get a gotoh instead? capable of lower action then the hipshot and just as good if not better sound wise then the hipshot in my experience and lower price to. Unless you need quick load string option like the hipshot has.

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Warmoth doesn't route for that on the Gecko 6.

8. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    Wondering the same thing! Trying to decide on the bridge. I'd rather not have to take a dremel to it!

9. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  10. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    The URL you provided doesn't seem to be working at the moment, but I'm looking at the pictures and specs on the Carvin site. This looks like the bridge they use on the SB4000 and SB5000 series basses. I like the looks of this one, but it may be fairly massive since it's made of Zinc. A Hipshot aluminum bridge would be lighter.

It should work just fine for a Gecko 5 Medium or Wide, provided you can drill the mounting holes properly, but I would check the minimum string height to see how low it goes. String-through would definitely be custom, since the strings don't drop into the body at the same place as the Takeuchi.

11. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    tubby.twins,

I checked and yes, it's the same bridge they are putting on the 4000 & 5000 series basses.

The link is working ok for me. You can search Guitar Parts Central and get to it that way as well.

I've actually installed this bridge on my Squier Affinity Jazz V and it works great. String height is fine on that bass.

It's not feather-light, but's lighter, thinner front-to-back, and way cheaper than a Badass V which I was also looking at.

Bob

12. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I just realized the Brubaker Brute has the same Sung Il bridge. The set screws just aren't installed on theirs.

Bob

13. Hi Bob,

There are 3 Takeuchi 5 string bridges available from Warmoth, which one do you believe is the same as the bb405?

I'm looking for a black Takeuchi T5 for a Warmoth G5.

Thanks
    Darren

14. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hi dazzalenko,

I don't believe the Sung Il bb405 bridge being sold at guitarpartscentral.com, and Carvin and standard on the Brubaker Brute is the same as the Takeuchi sold at Warmoth.

This bb405 is an equivalent 19mm 5-string bridge available in chrome, black and gold, and costs only $31 plus shipping at guitarpartscentral.com. This is less than half the price the Takeuchi is being sold for at Warmoth.

I've been using a one for a while and it definitely does the job and looks good.

The above posted links should work if you want to check it out. It's called the "Modern Five String" at guitarpartscentral.com.

Best of luck with your decision.

15. Hi Bob,

thanks for the quick reply.

My issue is that I recently purchased a G5 body which is already drilled for the Takeuchi T5. I have now gone to order a T5 bridge from Warmoth only to find out that they are discontinued. They have a few left in gold but no black, which is what I would prefer.

Do you know if either of the other bridges you mentioned above will line up with the holes already in my G5?

I might have to hunt around for a second hand black one otherwise.

cheers
    Darren

16. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Darren,

The Takeuchi T5N is a 17.5mm (.688") spaced bridge. The Takeuchi T5W is a 19mm (.748") spaced bridge. Both are listed on the Warmoth website. Which one are you looking for?

The bb405 has 19mm string spacing and definitely isn't going to fit holes drilled for a T5N.

Hipshot and other manufacturers make a variety of size bass bridges and may have what you need.

Bob

17. Hi Bob,

there's also this one(the one I need) - the T5(which they only have left in gold):
    Takeuchi T5 String Bass Bridge

(It's been removed from the Takeuchi bridge page but the link is available from some of the showcase bass body listings)

From what I can tell the only difference between the T5 and the T5N is the angle through the body.
    EDIT: The other difference appears to be the routing.

I've been in contact with Rob from Warmoth, he will be checking for me on Monday whether the T5N will fit, and work. Failing that I will have to go with gold....

thanks
    Darren

18. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Darren,

Here are some specs matching the T5N to help your search.

Spacing is 17.5mm, or .688" for one string.

This can also be listed as 2.75" or 69.5mm for G-B spacing.

Bridges are typically listed with one of these or another and it's best to search using them all.

As an FYI, this is the same spacing as a MusicMan SR5.

Hope that helps.

Bob

19. Thank you very much for all your help Bob, much appreciated.

Cheers

20. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I just got the BB405 bridge for one of my Dean basses....I needed it in Black, and it seems that NO ONE has it in stock. They only have gold or chrome. I wound up getting a black one from the UK, and that was the last one they had. I want to get another one for my other Dean. I may have to get one from Carvin....

But the bridge is just an awesome piece, very easy to adjust compared to the original bridge I had (which was also from Sung Il...)

Just giving a heads up on this.