1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Taking $10,000'ish to the ISB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PocketGroove82, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Hey Gang,

Now I know this is going to open a can of, ("my 5k bass outplayed a 10k bass"), worms...but what the hell. Talkbass took my 20 dollars so I have the right to post a question destined to cause civil unrest and disrupt many online lives. Here goes! :eek:

Well, I'm headed to the ISB convention this year and I hear it's THE PLACE to demo basses and get a good deal. I'll be heading up with 10k to spend, although I'm not against spending less (or 2k more) if I find "the one". You guys know what I mean. Spending the top end of my budget isn't the goal. I'm trying to find a killer bass that's within my budget and sounds great for jazz (important), and the occasional "non-jazz" setting (theatre/classical/bluegrass).

So, here are my questions:

1. Going off my criteria, which bass builders would YOU want to check out/consider purchasing?

2. Would you go for an older, seasoned bass or a quality new one (I live in Northern Texas).

I'd love some input from TB community!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Man, I dont know how you DB'ers afford this.

3. +1

Imagine $10,000 on BG gear.:eek: :bag:

4. cmewhinney

cmewhinney

Jul 11, 2008
    Concord, NH
    A mid-level Fodera in 3-4 years! Hoorah!

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I already own well over $10,000 worth of BG gear.

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Not that I want to intrude on any Dark Side activities, but 10k of our bass gear is one bass to DB's.

Ouch! :atoz:

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I afford this by gigging regularly on both electric and double bass, and selling off the occasional bass guitar.

8. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    Sorry I'm not help to your question. Hopefully someone chimes in for you.

However, I just wanted to state the fact that with $10,000 I could double the quality of the gear for each member in my band, including the PA and myself.

Sad..

9. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    At the 2003 convention, I liked basses by Don Gorman in that price range, owned a Solano Panormo copy for several years, and have always liked Kai Arvi's basses. Haven't kept up with their current prices, though. You may want to check out the New American Standard and Upton's basses for your purposes, and keep some of your money.

I love my Prescott, but if starting over, I'd be more inclined to go with a good modern maker.

10. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm a doubler also and is planing to attend the ISB convention , for me i like Wilfer's
    Juzek's, Poillman's and others. Just went to the site and they have quite a few basses
    in that range, but just like anything else you have to play it . I will be in New York next week and plan on stopping by Ideal Music to check out the selection , i hear the prices are good.

11. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Bubba, thanks for some actual input from an actual double bass player. I've know many bassists who have wonderful, "heirloom" basses that sound amazing, but they do require a lot of expensive maintenance. I've only been in North Texas for 5 months and the changing weather/temperature/humidity here is flat out laughable.

I don't know if moving a seasoned bass here is cost effective in the long run. Hopefully, someone with some DOUBLE BASS insight can enlighten me.

(bless'em) These teenage electric players have no clue. :rollno:

12. dchan

dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    If you're headed towards the Northeast, why not visit the other shops in the area? Mike Shank is obviously the closest one, but Ken Smith isn't too far away. And of course, the NYC area shops.

That is, of course, one of those ISB basses really, really speaks to you.

13. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Because when multiple vendors gets together in one area, a buyer can talk them down and get a deal that wouldn't happen at an isolated shop.

Well, I now reside in Texas and I just moved here from Aberdeen, Maryland...a couple hours down the road from Shank and Smith.

Why should I drive out of the way to visit these dealers when I have many, equally and (possibly) better bass merchants, all desperately competing for my business, at the ISB convention?

Thanks for your suggestion. I have nothing but respect for both Ken Smith and Mike Shank but I'm hoping to buy at the ISB. The army band is sending me there on their dime for professional development. I need to make the most of the situation.

So, does anyone else actually have a response to my original post?

14. Happy hunting matey!!

You have the luxury of simply spending time talking to the various sellers / builders, and seeing if any of the instruments "speak to you". It's all about trying out differing instruments and seeing what works best for yourself.

Each builder in attendance at the convention will be enthusiastic about their own products, so you'll be afforded the luxury of trying out various instruments in one locale rather than just having to speculate on each builder's basses via websites and word of mouth recommendations.

Whatever you end up getting, make sure it's an instrument that works for your own needs. I am primarily an electric bassist, but have been offered a fair bit of work recently where the organiser has asked "Kev, do you still play upright bass?", and so I am currently saving for a new double bass, so I appreciate the commitment you are entering into in getting a decent instrument (I had to sell my lovely old double bass when myself and my ex split up, and I then sold my Yamaha SLB100 Silent Bass to Oroh Angiama when he was playing for Corinne Bailey Rae and Nitin Sawnhey).

As for some of the comments regarding the outlay of double basses, I would agree that individual instruments can be expensive. However, with double basses, players tend to search for "the one" and then keep it for many, many years - or even a lifetime. Whereas electric bassists tend to chop and change their instruments. As for what my current electric bass gear would cost to replace? Let's do a quick calculation - the instruments at home right now (and there are some others in the studio) would cost over the $45,000 USA mark. Granted, these instruments have been gathered over many years, but if I had taken the time to get the money together and then spent it all at one time, a new double bass would have been easily affordable.

Hope it all works out for you, and I'll be sure to keep you up to date with how my own search goes when I get the funds together over the next 6 months or so (hopefully! I already have a stash saved and am constantly thinking "look at what else you could get yourself with that money!" I'll just have to try and be disciplined! hahaha)

15. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Rob...please read the thread before you start posting nonsensical, financial statements. I have no clue what your point is and I'm embarrassed for you and many other electric bass guitar players commenting here.

I said this thread would disrupt lives. Little did I know, one of them would be my own.

SHEESH.

16. Pocket,

Good hunting. Hope you find the one. Regardless, it should be a a cool hang and lots of education.

All the Best

T

17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Meh. You porkchoppers don't even know the slightest.

$10K is just for the bass. And that amount is not even a pedigree bass but more of a journeyman's instrument. Then we have strings to find that match the bass (another $1K easy). If you're a gut player, one set of strings is like $500 alone. Then a bass bag (easily $300 for something decent). Then a DB compatible amp that runs anywhere from $800 on up. A hardshell case for touring by air is about $2000. If play with a bow it's $200 on up and about $500-600 for something that is beginning to be decent. And then some guys have backup basses.... :eek:

Thank your lucky stars that EB gear is relatively cheap. Of course when you're smitten by the doghouse bug, there's no looking back.

Anyways, $10K on a bass is a pretty serious commitment. Happy hunting. I'd try as many basses as you can get your hands on and get some expensive basses well beyond your range just to get a feel for what a pedigree bass is like.

Oh yeah... and then there are the repairs. A simple basic setup job starts at about $150.......... Oh and I forgot to count that the basses don't come with a pickup and they're not cheap either. This all makes me think... just to be a generally decent DB player takes a ton of commitment in time, sweat, blisters, and money. No wonder we get our panties in a bunch when a clueless porkchopper wanders in here and starts mouthing off.

18. I'll just keep my ****beaters off the keyboard and read & get educated.Carry on.

19. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    10k is a bit of a weird catagory for a DB. At that price you're about 2k to 3k high for the best Romanian or Chinese basses. And the best Chinese or Romanian basses are really not that much BETTER than the same models with less figured wood. For about 2 to 3k less. So then that puts you in the older German or Czech factory instruments. You can find an old Juzek for<8k. The Solano and Kolstein basses in that price range are Romanian in origin anyways. To take a jump up soundwise (a big jump) you get in the range of the less expensive (actually) hand made instruments. I've done extensive research as I just commisioned a bass. Luciano Golia's basses are an amazing value. You can get one made (your specs) for about 13k. You can find basses with a bit better fit and finish, but soundwise I've compared my Golia with the best new basses. ( 25 to 35k) I know basses and the Golia sounds as good or better than basses at twice the cost. And plays like butter. Ask Eric Hochberg, fellow TBer and great bassist.