1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Taking a bass on Eurostar?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by sybarite, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sybarite

sybarite

Mar 4, 2006
    New York, NY
    Hi I'm planning on traveling to Europe with my nice orchestra bass and need some advice:

Has anyone taken a bass on a Eurostar Train? (in a soft case)

Its very easy to take a bass in the US on Amtrak (I just lay it down in the handicap section.) Does Eurostar have something similar?

When I looked at their website it seamed to say that baggage would be in a separate section (like a plane) sounds scary!!!

Please help.

Better yet: anyone want to rent me a bass for six weeks in Europe?

Thanks,
    Louis

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Don't know about Eurostar, but on most trains, you can find room at the ends of the cars, or in the handicapped area. Just have a selection of bungee cords, and make sure the conductor knows you're willing and ready to move the bass should a handicapped passenger need the space. I find a spike endpin is useful as well when standing the bass up and securing it with bungees. Above all, be polite and super cooperative.

3. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    I travel regularly on Eurostars whenever the plane is not possible to get. The best thing you can do is to buy the ticket personally at any station or travel agency and ask for the first seat of the coach ("Finestrino Isolato"). It is a single seat and I always tie the bass there, leaving enough room for the passengers to walk in the aisle. Never had a problem. Have a nice trip :)

4. sybarite

sybarite

Mar 4, 2006
    New York, NY
    Thank you guys!

That puts my mind at ease a bit!

Louis

5. sybarite

sybarite

Mar 4, 2006
    New York, NY
    I found it pretty easy to take my Bass on Eurostar. They charged me a children's ticket one way, but nothing going the other way.

FYI- I let the bass lean vertically in a corner opposite an exit door.

I also found a good selection of basses to rent from Adrian Warrick's violin shop.