taking a bit of growl out of my warwick.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslag13, Jun 13, 2005.

1. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    i have a corvette proline with a 2 band active eq and this thing roars like a lion. So i was wondering if there was anyway i could get some growl but not as much. I was thinking that maybe changing the pickups would make the growl a little more subtle but im not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  2. :bassist: I wouldn't touch the pickups yet. As a matter of fact, I would suggest exhausting all options before getting into the electronic side of things. Try different strings with a brighter tone and turn the Mid-range down on your amp AND bass. Your bass obniously will have a distinct tone, but the delivery of that tone is entirely up to your and your settings. :bassist:
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Why does everyone think you can fix problems by replacing the pickups? The pickups are the last thing you should be looking at. Check your tone...or your playing. Maybe you play too grindy. Save your money and work on what you've got.
  4. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005

umm i don't think you are trying to be offensive with that but i just noticed that people changed the pickups in warwicks so i brought it up. This is one of 2 corvettes i have. The other one is a FNA and it doesn't have nearly the same amount of growl so i doubt its my playing. I have played many different types of strings from ernie balls to DRs to KSD etc. i guess it had less growl with the DRs. im gonna try the eqing more and see what i can change but i use more than one bass sometimes so extreme eq settings for this one bass is kinda...well... inconvient. Ill see what i can do. thx for the advice.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My Corvette Standard was way too aggressive sounding with Ernie Ball steel slinkys. I wanted to preserve the Warwick-ness of the bass, but have a smoother, fatter tone along with maintaining a good slap sound. I use SIT Silencers pressurewound strings (45-100 if you care) and they are a heavenly match for my bass, my rig, my technique, my tone.

So definitely try groundwound or pressurewound strings rather than full rounds. That might make a difference. Or if you want more thump, try stringing with flats. There are folks out there who've strung their Warwicks with flats and loved it.
  6. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005

hmm thats a good idea. what are pressure wound strings though?
  7. Groundwounds (GHS makes them) are strings which have literally been ground down to make the traditional feel of roundwounds feel smoother on the fingers as well as to smooth out the sound. Soundwise they fall somwhere inbetween roundwounds and flatwounds but more towards roundwounds.

I play them and love them because I play with a pick and it takes the edge of the harshness of the pick.

And they feel SO GOOD...
  8. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Agreed...I have Rotosounds on my corvette standard and they sound great (and not too growly).
  9. Another great thing about those GHS's...

They keep their sound for a long time before becoming dead.
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    JimmyM: Please leave it in your other thread :rolleyes:
  11. cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    JimmyM..go to your room and come back down when you've had some sleep.
  12. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    That's a great way of putting it. I love the buttery smooth feel of my SIT Silencers.
  13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Have you tried backing off the volume knob?
  14. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    Like Pino Palledino for starters. he uses i believe light gauge thomastiks on his thumb 5. it was in bass player a few months back.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Eh, sorry. I guess I see so many people on here wanting to mod their gear in search of tone when it's their technique they should be working on. So I guess I assumed it was the same in this case and made an "ass" of "u" and "me." You have to admit there's a lot of that on here, though.
  16. full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    any suggestions for my thumb 4 string? I've been told that I can only use longscale taperwounds. The only strings that I know of that can use are the dr longnecks (haven't heard yet) and of course the warwick strings.
  17. basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    you serious?

i play as loud as i need to........ :meh:
    how are hte pressure wounds for slapping.
  18. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like my Silencers for slapping. I found the steel slinkys too sizzly/trebly with lots of bite but little oomph. The Silencers added some fatness to the slap tone while still retaining the more modern bite/crispness. And because of the smooth texture, doing slap in conjunction with sliding your finger down the fretboard sounds wicked.

And full bleed- The taperwound thing only applies to the 5-string where the saddle is too narrow to accomodate a fully roundwound low B string. You can use regular roundwounds on the 4-string basses; 40-95, 45-100, 45-105, 50-110. But if you insist on using taperwounds, DR isn't your only option. Ken Smith, SIT, Dean Markley, LaBella and others make taperwound strings for bass.

(FWIW my SIT Silencers are gauged 45-100 and have no tapering.)

If you decide to try a set of those and see if you don't like the sound/feel of Warwick better, what have you got to lose? SIT strings aren't expensive (and they're damn good) and it's certainly a cheaper "fix" than overhauling the electronics or getting an outboard preamp or something. I would try changing strings first before thinking about bigger mods.
  19. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I've tried the sadowsky outboard pre amp and it smoothed out growl and add a nice tight fat bottom.

not sure if thats what your looking for... just a thought